23 March, 2011

Chapter 33

I



"You know, Jere," Jasmine said as their children opened their Christmas gifts, "except for Aaliyah and Rachel, there are no little ones to get really excited about Christmas."

"I know," Jeremiah said; "It's kind of sad that they're all growing up so fast. At least there are no grandchildren yet for any of us."

"I'm too young to be a grandma, Jere," Jasmine laughed; "I wouldn't mind one bit if all four of them didn't have families until they're 30."

"You know that isn't going to happen," Jeremiah said. "I'll predict within five years, we'll be Grandpa Jere and Gramma Jas."

"That would make Adriana 21 or 22," Jasmine mused. "I still don't want to think about it. You know who will be grandparents next? David and Jordan. I know Jordan has grandchildren because of Julia, but David doesn't have any from his children with her."

"Oh, I'll predict that, too," Jeremiah said; "Niki will be the first one of them to present David with a grandchild."

"She might not be able to do that in light of her cancer, Jere," Jasmine said; "It's possible, but unlikely. Not unless she wants to go through it all over again. I think it will be one of the boys."

"They just turned 18, Jas," Jeremiah said; "They're not going to wreck college scholarships by getting a girl pregnant."

"That's just it," Jasmine said; "They're eighteen years old! Ever heard of hormones, Jere? How old were you when we met?"

Jeremiah said nothing. "Gotcha!" Jasmine said.

"I was almost 19..." Jeremiah said.

"Hormones," Jasmine said, leaning over to kiss her husband.

===



As soon as he heard Helene's exclamation, he couldn't believe what he'd heard. He got up slowly, because he thought he wouldn't be able to walk to the door to greet Kathryn.

When DeWitt finally got there, all three girls were hugging their mother. Helene and Erin were crying, and Lili kept saying "Mommy!" over and over.

"Girls," he said slowly, "can I get in there to give your mother a hug?"

When he faced her, he knew he was going to lose it. "Kathryn..." he said as he hugged her. "My beautiful girl...I've missed you so..."

Kathryn couldn't speak, couldn't form a coherent thought. All she could do is sob. Then, she heard Christian lose it.

Their three daughters watched this in awe. "Let's go to my room for a few minutes while Mom and Dad have some time alone, okay?" said Helene.

"But, Helene," said Lili, "I want to see Mommy."

"We all want to see Mom," Erin said, "but Helene is right. We should give Mom and Dad time to themselves. He's missed her as much as we have."

"Maybe even more," Helene agreed with her sister.

They went down the hall to Helene's bedroom and closed the door.

"Christian, I've missed you and the girls so much," Kathryn said as soon as she was able to speak; "I have so much to tell you, my love."

"Who...who brought you here, Kathryn?" Christian asked.

"My father did," Kathryn said.

"Shall we invite him inside so he can meet his granddaughters?" he asked.

"I don't think he's ready for that quite yet," Kathryn said. "He's only known about the girls since yesterday. I don't think he's quite used to the idea that Kelly isn't my only child."

"You've met her, too?" Christian asked.

"Yes, and she's a beautiful and intelligent girl. She wants me to take lots of pictures of her new sisters," Kathryn said.

"We shouldn't disappoint her, then," said Christian. "I'm so happy you're here! How long can you stay?"

"I told Dad I'd call him when I was ready to come back," Kathryn said. "I mean, if it's okay with you."

"I know you only have a short time out of the clinic, Kathryn," Christian said; "And we'll explain to the girls that you still need more time before you can come home for good. I've prayed that you'd be able to come home for Christmas, even if it's only for a few hours. We've all missed you."

"I-I brought gifts, Christian," she said; "For the girls. I didn't choose them, so I hope they're things that the girls like. I'm afraid I didn't get you anything."

"Kathryn," Christian said; "You being here is present enough. To hold you, to kiss you...I've waited two years for this day. Everyday has been torture for me, not being able to be with you."

Christian led Kathryn to the couch, then called for the girls to come back into the living room. When they returned, Kathryn explained to them where she had been, and that it might take a little more time before she could come home for good, but for that day, she was there.

"Mom," said Helene, "whenever you can come home, we'll be here waiting. There's so much we all have to tell you!"

"We didn't know you were coming, Mommy," Lili said; "we didn't get you anything."

"I don't expect anything, Lili," Kathryn said; "Being with all of you is the best present I could ask for."

"Mom brought you girls presents," their father said; "Be sure to thank her for thinking of you."

Lili hadn't had her gift five seconds before she ripped into the wrapping, revealing two fashion dolls.

"Mommy! I love them!" the five year old said excitedly. "Thank you!" And she got up and gave her mother a hug.

The older girls were happy with their presents as well. Erin loved the art kit, while Helene admired the vanity set that was her gift.

Christian looked on as Kathryn interacted with their daughters. He was happy for the first time in a while. He planned to show her later how happy he was that she was home.

If she will have me, he thought.

===
II



Eric Hope watched from his car as a tall blonde girl about thirteen came and hugged Kathryn when she opened the front door of the house. Then two more blonde girls came and did the same.

When the girls father came to greet Kathryn, Eric's suspicions were confirmed. Kathryn's lover was Christian DeWitt, and he appeared to be happy that Kathryn was there. He led her into the house.

Eric felt like he was intruding, so he started on his way back to the lake house.

He found himself thinking-- DeWitt, you hurt my little girl, and you will live to regret it.

===


It was early Christmas morning when Jack woke Julia up with breakfast in bed.

"What did I do to deserve this, Jack?" she asked. "You must have been up hours ago to make this!"

"What did you do?" Jack asked her; "Julia, you gave me your heart, your soul and your trust. I had dreamed of doing this for you for years. It was part of my fantasies during the years we were apart. I'd wake you up on Christmas morning with breakfast in bed, then take you out to the living room and do our gift exchange."

"What a beautiful thought, Jack," Julia said; "You make me feel so loved, so needed. I almost wish I'd thought of it first."

"Julia, I love you with all I have left in me," said Jack; "You trusted me all those years ago. I never properly thanked you for that."

"You did, Jack," Julia said; "You gave me Miri."

"But I had no idea about that," Jack said; "Speaking of whom, she has a big birthday coming up."

"Like I don't know?" laughed Julia softly; "Too bad we can't have a traditional Sweet 16 party for her."

"Does that Army Sergeant still write to her?" asked Jack.

"Miri hasn't gotten anything from him in weeks," Julia said; "I think, maybe, that he grew tired of writing to a girl he couldn't see."

"How is she taking that?"

"All right, I suppose," said Julia; "But who knows what's going through her mind."

"I feel bad for her," Jack said; "To be cooped up here away from everything she knows."

"CIA really blew this one," Julia said; "Maybe Miri was right when she said we were running from a fight; but then, we wouldn't be here with you."

"I know I have to let you go home when you decide it's time," Jack said. "I won't stand in your way."

"Jack," Julia said as Jack took the tray from her and placed it on the floor near the chair by the window; "I can't bear to think of you up here alone. Not as sick as you are. You need to be getting treatment, and what if one day, you're too sick to make it to Jackson on your own?"

"I'll deal with it," he said.

"The hell you will," Julia said; "What if you came with us back to Chicago? There are any number of hospitals in Cook County you can go to. Maybe even the Navy Hospital at Great Lakes."

"Julia, I can't..."

"You can, Jack," she said; "I won't abandon you up here to die alone. I absolutely forbid it."

"Then marry me, Julia," Jack said before he even thought about it. "Do me the honor of being my wife and let me be a father to your beautiful children."

"You're already a father to them."

"Julia, please..." Jack said; at that moment, he never wanted anything more urgently than for Julia to say yes.

"You're serious about this?" she asked.

"Yes, Julia. I am serious about this. Please say you'll marry me."

In the back of Julia's mind, she heard a voice say it's okay, Jules. Say yes.

She looked him in the eyes, and in a strong, clear, but soft voice said,

"Yes, Jack. I'll marry you."

===



Eric sat in the car for a good twenty minutes before he went into the lake house.

Her girls were certainly happy to see her, he thought; they're all beautiful and blonde like their mother... and their grandmother.

His mind kept going back to DeWitt, however. Eric thought of all the times he'd faced Christian DeWitt in court, and not once mentioning that he not only knew where Kathryn was, but that he had fallen in love with her and fathered children with her.

Maybe he believed the worst about me and Helene, Eric thought; what kind of people we must be to throw out our daughter when she needed help.

He hit the steering wheel with his fist, saying, "We didn't know there was a problem, dammit! We didn't even know to think that Kathryn could have mental problems!"

But maybe, we should have, he thought; Kathryn's personality changed so dramatically, we should have seen it. It was right there, and we missed all the signs!

Stop, Eric. He heard Helene's voice in his head as if she sat right next to him. Stop blaming yourself. We did what we could. We were too close to it. If anything, I blame myself.

We have three more granddaughters, Helene, Eric said to himself. One is named after you, my darling. Kathryn is still struggling, but she's winning the battle with her inner demons.

Eric then got out of the car, locked the door, and headed into the house. It was where Krysta waiting for him, and Kelly hoping her mother was okay.

===


Jack carried a giggling Julia out to the living room for their gift exchange. The children were still sleeping, but would be starting to awake soon.

He placed her on the couch, and told her not to move. He soon returned with two mugs of cocoa and a plate of sliced poundcake.

"Jack!" Julia whispered; "You're so spoiling me!"

"And why shouldn't I?" he asked. "Nothing is too good for you, my beautiful angel." He then handed her a box. "For you," he said.

She opened it, and inside were two necklaces. One was a cross; the other, a Star of David pendant.

"They're gorgeous, Jack!" Julia said happily; "But why both?"

"Because that's who you are, Julia," Jack said; "I know you were raised as a Christian, but Jewish blood runs through your veins as well. How can I not acknowledge the two sides of your heritage?"

Julia admired the pendants. The Star of David reminded her of the one David gave her mother when Niki and Kimber were born. The cross was almost identical to the one she still kept that belonged to Kiera. How did he know? Julia kept thinking. She had never shown Kiera's cross to him.

"I got you something, too, Jack," she said; "It's in the red box with the gold ribbons."

Jack picked up the box that Julia indicated. "It's kind of heavy, Julia," he said as he placed it in his lap. He opened it and saw there was a book inside.

"Julia, you don't think I have enough books?" he asked, laughing softly.

"Out of all your books, Jack, I'm certain you don't have that one," Julia said; "Take a look at it."

Jack removed the book from the box, and saw it was a first edition of "The Red Badge of Courage" by Stephen Crane.

"Wow, Julia! You know how collectible this is?" he asked. "There's maybe six to ten of them still in existance! How did you get this?"

"It used to belong to Jasmine Donovan's father, and he gave it to Jasmine before he died," Julia said; "Jasmine then gave it to Ryan for the last birthday he had before he passed. He was just as excited as you when he learned how rare it was."

"And you want me to have it? Julia, I don't know what to say..." Jack said, in awe that Julia would give him such a treasure.

"I thought if anyone would like it, it would be you," Julia said. "Kiera made us read it when I was about ten, and I thought it was boring. I didn't appreciate it until I was much older."

"I'll cherish this always, Julia," Jack said as he leaned in to kiss her. As their kiss deepened, they heard Zach's voice behind them saying in disgust as only a ten year old boy can, "Ewww, I'm going back to bed while you're doing all that mushy, gross stuff!"

"You'll like when you're older, boy," Jack said.

"I'd rather poke my eye out than kiss a girl!" Zach said as he stalked back up the hall.

Julia couldn't help but laugh.

===
III



Eric walked back into the house from the car, and Kelly asked,

"How did it go, Grandfather?"

"I came back alone, didn't I?" Eric asked in reply. "They all seemed genuinely happy to see her. All the girls are blonde from what I could see. Their father is about my age.

"Did you get to meet them?" asked Krysta.

"No, I would have felt like I was intruding," Eric said; "Let them have their time with Kathryn. She'll call me when she's ready to come back. She'll probably spend the night. I don't know."

"Well, dinner's just about ready, Eric," Krysta said. "I was just going to make a salad, and Kelly was going to set the table when you came in."

Eric sat down on the couch with the newspaper, saying, "Don't let me stop you lovely ladies from your tasks. I'll just sit here quietly and wade through the tons of ads they put in the papers on Christmas day. Why they still print an edition for even today is beyond me."

"Cranky much, Grandfather?" asked Kelly, smiling.

Am I being cranky? Eric asked himself; then, "Sorry, princess. Just have a lot of things on my mind."

"Maybe reading the paper will make you feel better," Kelly said as she got the good china down from the shelf and began to set the table for her, Krysta, and her grandfather.

Eric was reading a review of a performance of "The Nutcracker" that took place in Syracuse the afternoon before. The production was held in a new performing arts venue that had only opened five years before.

The review had all the standard phrases that were used to describe the ballet: "a timeless classic", "a holiday tradition", "a wonder to behold," "a production that never show its age".

Eric skipped down to where the review talked about the performances of the dancers playing the lead characters. The young girl playing Clara had a very familiar name.

Helene DeWitt.

Eric remembered another performance of "The Nutcracker" that he and his wife had attended the Christmas season before her passing the following summer.

"Look at this, Eric," Helene had said.

"What?" he asked as Helene handed him the program.

"One of the dancers playing one of the mice," Helene said; "Her name is Helene."

"So?"

"No one, surely, gives little girls names like 'Helene' anymore," Helene said; "It was old fashioned when my parents named me."

"Weren't you named for a grandmother?" asked Eric.

"Great grandmother, yes," Helene said; "My mother hated the idea. She wanted to name me Heather, but my father insisted. So I got old fashioned Helene instead of popular Heather. My sister got that."

"I like it," Eric said, squeezing his wife's hand; "And apparently, this little girl's parents liked it, or else they wouldn't have given it to her."

"I suppose you're right," Helene said. "Maybe she was named after someone, too."


"Eric? Hello, Eric? Earth to Eric?" Krysta said, seeing Eric seemingly in a trance.

She looked at Kelly. "Is he all right?" she asked.

"He gets that way when he remembers something from his past," Kelly said; "Probably something about my grandmother. He took her death really hard."

"I know, he told me," Krysta said.

"Let's leave him with his memories for a few more moments, Krysta," Kelly said; "He'll come out of it soon."

Krysta looked at Eric as she and Kelly left the room. How am I supposed to compete with that? she asked herself.

===


It was a pleasant afternoon. Kathryn got to hear all the things going on with her daughters. She was especially impressed that Helene got to dance the part of Clara in "The Nutcracker".

"The last time I saw you dance, you were a mouse in the same ballet," Kathryn said.

"I was asked to audition for the role, Mom," Helene said; "I was up against 15 and 16 year olds with tons more experience, and I got the part!"

"I'm really impressed and proud of you, Helene," said Kathryn; "I only wish I'd gotten to see it for myself."

"Kathryn, someone recorded it, I'm sure," Christian said; "I'll find out who and see if I can get a copy for you to watch. Helene was quite the ballerina. Helene, I think there's a review in the paper. I thought I saw the Arts columnist there yesterday."

"I'll go look, Dad," Helene said; "I'm a little nervous though."

"Her first big review," Christian said to Kathryn.

After a few moments, Helene said, "I found it! I'll let Mom read it, because I can't bear to."

Kathryn read the review, with Christian looking over her shoulder as she did so, then saw the paragraph about Helene's performance. Kathryn read aloud:

"The role of Clara, as danced by young Helene DeWitt, was a refreshing experience for this reviewer. Clara is a little girl, after all, and Miss DeWitt danced the role to perfection. Ballet Syracuse may have found its next big star."

"Oh, wow!" Helene gasped; "That's awesome! I can't believe they liked me that much!"

"With all the hours you put in rehearsing, Helene, I'm not surprised to read that," her father said; "We're so proud of you, princess!"

"Mom, let me show you the rehearsal room Dad had built for me," Helene said; "You'll have to take off your boots though. Toe shoes and socks only on the floors. Dad's rule."

Kathryn looked at Christian as she removed her boots. "Go on, Kathryn," he said gently. "She's really proud of it. Slept in there for a week after it was finished."

"It's in the basement, Mom, so watch your step on the stairs," Helene said.

"I have lived in this house you know," Kathryn said, laughing; "We moved here when you were five and Erin was four."

"I know, Mom," Helene said, excited for her mother to see her special space.

At the bottom of the stairs, Helene opened the door to the reheasal room, where she ran in and slid across the floor in her socks.

Kathryn was taken aback by the room. She walked in and looked at all the mirrors, the ballet barre, the special wood for the floor. As she caught sight of her reflection in the mirror, she realized all that she missed in the two years since she'd last been in the house. She felt her emotions overcome her, and tears fell before she could wipe them away.

Helene turned around and saw this, and wondered what was wrong.

"Mom? Are you okay?" she asked, concerned.

"I've missed so much, Helene," Kathryn said. "You're all growing up so fast. I feel like a terrible mother."

"Mom," Helene said, taking her mother's hand; "we've all missed you. We know that you couldn't help what happened. We know you're getting help for what happened before. It's not your fault, Mom. Erin, Lili, Dad, and I never stopped loving you. We never stopped wishing you would come home. And you're here! I know that you'll have to go back, and I can't wait for the day you're home forever!"

"When did you get so grown up, Helene?" Kathryn asked.

"I'm only imitating what I've seen you do," Helene said; "I was always watching and trying to be like you. When you had to go away, Dad had a talk with us. We had to help each other, so when you came home, you can just be Mom."

"I'm glad I was such a good role model," said Kathryn.

"And you still are," Helene said; "You came back."

Kathryn was speechless.

Helene gave her mother a hug. "I love you, Mama," she said.

===
IV


Just the day before, he'd been named as Chastity Edwards' replacement as the leader of A.R.M.

And he already had plans to eliminate The Triad.

Lincoln Marsh was a cold, heartless, calculating man. He hated chilren, most women, and incompetent men.

His late boss, Clayton Pollard, was an incompetent man who believed himself above everyone. Marsh saw through the man's facade, and waited until Pollard made a fatal mistake.

Marsh didn't care about Pollard's demise. He had it coming as far as Marsh was concerned. Pollard underestimated a 15 year old boy and his skills with weapons. Marsh would have realized that he'd have to beat the San Marcos at their own game, instead of following the daughter around for months, like Pollard had done.

"That was his fuckin' problem," Marsh said to no one in the hotel room he was staying in until he could find his own lodgings after the holidays were over; "He was weak for that young pussy. That's what killed him."

His plan now was to flush out the quail from their hiding place in frozen Wyoming. Once they were in the open, they were fair game.

But it was the mama quail he wanted most of all. He didn't fear her, like others had done. She was just another bitch to him. And she would submit, or watch the baby quail die one by one.

But fate would change those plans, and though Linc Marsh didn't know it yet, that mama quail would be his undoing.

===


Later that night, after dinner, Eric, his granddaughter, and the woman he was falling in love with sat in the living room talking. It became apparent to all that Kathryn would be spending the night with her family.

"Dinner was really good, ladies," Eric said; "Make sure that there's some for Kathryn if she would like some when she returns home."

"I've already made up a plate for her, Eric," Krysta said. "Wonder how long she'll stay with her family."

"She knows her time out of the clinic is limited, so I'd hazard a guess that she should be home some time tomorrow," Eric said.

"I'm just thrilled I have three younger sisters I never knew about," Kelly said; "I hope that we can meet soon and become friends."

"I hope so, too, Kelly Clare," Eric said.

Soon after, Kelly said her goodnights to her grandfather and Krysta, saying, "I won't really mind if you two sleep together. I'm a big girl now and I understand how all that works."

Eric looked shocked, and Krysta laughed. "Oh don't look so shocked, Grandfather," Kelly laughed; "You think I haven't noticed how you act together. Sheesh, I'm not blind you know!"

"I think he's speechless," Krysta said.

"I didn't think I needed my granddaughter's permission to live my life, is all," Eric said; "Are we that obvious, and do you think Kathryn has noticed?"

"Yes, you're that obvious," Kelly said; "As for Kathryn, I can't speak for her."

"She's got us there, Eric," Krysta said.

"Well, now that I've done my share of shocking people today, I'm going to bed," Kelly said. She kissed her grandfather on the forehead and went down the hall to her bedroom.

As she got ready for bed, Kelly wondered when it would be her turn to fall in love.

===



Later, when Eric and Krysta readied for bed, Eric asked her,

"Krysta, did you know that Christian DeWitt was the father of Kathryn's daughters?"

Krysta looked at him, and she felt fear. "Yes, Eric, I knew."

"Why didn't you tell me?" asked Eric.

"It wasn't my place," said Krysta; "I thought that should come from her."

"You're right, of course," Eric said; "I'm just being over-sensitive. All this is new to me. I have four granddaughters instead of one; three of them fathered by a man I've faced in court numerous times. I'm glad Kathryn felt comfortable enough with me to tell me about it. I hope someday soon, that I'll get to meet them."

"I'm sure you will, Eric," Krysta said; "It's probably part of Kathryn's treatment plan. To make sense of her past by bringing all the parts together."

"I'll wait for Kathryn to give me the okay to meet her girls," Eric said; "It's all up to her, isn't it?"

Krysta looked at him, less afraid now. She only nodded in reply. She then said, "Let me ask you something, Eric."

"What is it, Krysta?"

She took a deep breath, let it out slowly, then asked, "Eric, how in the hell am I supposed to compete with your memories of Helene?"

"You don't," Eric said; "Helene would want me to move on and find love again. I'll always have memories of her. She's the mother of my children, and the only woman I've ever truly loved from the time she was eighteen until she passed away. I'll always love her, Krysta. But you're not competing with her memory; I hope I'm making new memories with you."

Admittedly, Krysta didn't know how to respond to that.

"Don't you see, my angel," Eric said, taking Krysta into his arms; "You've shown me that life is for living, not for mourning. Helene would hate it if she knew I were still mourning her two years after her death. You opened up my heart to let love in again, and I've found that I have plenty left to share with you, if you want it."

"Eric," she said, feeling herself start to tremble; "You made a good point at my house yesterday. I am more than my past. And if you want to share your heart with me... I'll be here for you."

"God, Krysta," Eric said; "I'm falling so hard for you. Please... please say you'll be mine."

"I'd like nothing more than to be your girl, and make new memories with you," Krysta said.

"That's probably the best Christmas gift I've ever received," Eric said as he led Krysta to the bed and laid her on it.

===


Oh, my GOD! Kelly thought as she heard the familiar sounds coming from her grandfather's bedroom;

At least Krysta isn't as loud as Grandmother was in bed, Kelly said to herself. God, could that woman scream!

Eric and Helene were in the kitchen preparing breakfast when Kelly came into the living room.

Kelly wasn't a happy camper at that point in time. Even at nine years old, she knew what sex sounded like. Her grandparents kept her up half the night with their bedroom fun.

"Good morning, Kelly Clare," Helene said; "I hope you slept well."

"No, I didn't sleep well, Grandmother," Kelly said, as indignant as a nine year old could get. "You two should be embarrassed and blushing right now!"

She saw her grandparents look at each other with puzzled expressions on their faces.

"Why should we be blushing?" her grandfather asked her.

Kelly rolled her eyes. "As if you don't know!" she said.

"I don't, Kelly," Eric said. "Why should your grandmother and I be 'embarrassed and blushing'?"

"I heard what you two were doing in your bedroom all night long!" Kelly exclaimed, exasperated that her guardians were playing dumb. "I'm surprised the cops didn't show up last night with all the carrying on Grandmother did!"

"Kelly!" Helene said; "Don't speak to your grandfather in that tone of voice!"

"Now, Helene, you are a bit loud, you have to admit," Eric said; "And Kelly didn't sleep because of us. Honey, we had no idea you could hear so clearly from the other end of the hall."

"Grandfather!" said Kelly; "People in Canada could hear you!"

"Oh, that loud, huh?" Helene asked. "No wonder you didn't sleep well, Kelly."

"It's Saturday, and I'm going back to bed," Kelly said; "I'll be in dreamland. Try not to wake me up, okay?" And with that, Kelly went back to her bedroom and slammed the door in frustration.

Helene put her face in her hands, saying, "She is right, Eric. We SHOULD be blushing. I had no idea she could hear us. It wasn't like this at the other house."

"Well, if you're going to have the good sense to blush, Helene," Eric said; "Then I'll have the good sense to be embarrassed."


Kelly got out of bed, got out the package of earplugs she had in her luggage, and put them in her ears. Apparently, her roommate at school wasn't the only person who screamed loud enough during sex (often with Kelly in the next room) to wake the dead.

===


Kathryn and Christian bid their daughters a good night after a long day of playing with new toys, catching up with their mother, and having dinner. As Kathryn tucked Lili in, the little girl asked, "Mommy, will you be here in the morning?"

"Yes, Lilibet, I'll be here," Kathryn told her, "but I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon so I can spend time with my father."

"When do we get to meet him, Mommy?"

"Maybe some time after I come home for good, Lili," Kathryn said; "I want to make sure I'm completely well when you meet your grandfather for the first time."

"Is he nice?"

"Oh, yes, Lili," said her mother; "He's a very nice man. And I'm sure he'll love you and your sisters like he's known you forever."

"What's his name?"

Kathryn had to think about that for a moment, then said, "I'm sure he wouldn't mind being called Grandpa Eric. We'll let him decide that."

She kissed Lili on the forehead, then said, "Now, off to dreamland with you!"

"See you in the morning, Mommy," Lili said.

"Not if I see you first!" Kathryn replied.

She turned off the lamp besides Lili's bed and left the room, closing the door behind her.

Kathryn said good night to the older girls, then went to join Christian in the living room. She then heard his voice behind her.

"Kathryn, come into the bedroom a moment. I have something to show you," Christian said.

She went to the bedroom and Christian sat on the edge of the bed. Next to him was a box.

"I thought you didn't get anything for me, Christian," Kathryn said.

"I didn't," he replied; "This is something I wanted to show you."

Kathryn joined him on the bed and he asked her to lift the top off the box.

When she did, she saw immediately what it was inside.

"This isn't..." she began; "Is it?"

Christian lifted out the music box he'd given her thirteen years before during their first Christmas together.

"I don't understand," said Kathryn; "I thought Chastity destroyed this."

"She did, but I had it restored," Christian said; "Go on, open the lid."

Kathryn opened the lid and the ballerina danced while "Clare de Lune" played.

"It's still so beautiful, Christian! Whoever restored it did a fantastic job," she said. "But why are you showing it to me now?"

"I'm thinking about giving it to Helene for her birthday in May, if it's still okay with you," Christian said. "We had talked about doing that when Helene was older and more responsible."

"I remember," Kathryn said; "And it's still okay with me. But we have to tell her the history of it."

"About how you admired it in the store and when you went back to see it again it was gone?" asked Christian.

"And the reason it was gone was because you bought it!" Kathryn said, laughing. "And gave it to me for our first Christmas together."

Christian put it away in its box and replaced it on the shelf in his closet.

"Kathryn," he said; "if you're not on any medication, I have a great merlot to have by the fire."

"I've kind of lost my taste for alcohol," Kathryn said; "It doesn't do for me what it used to. I think maybe the first time you gave me wine, I wasn't even old enough to buy it yet. It was kind of a forbidden thrill for me. I'll just stick with club soda or ginger ale if you don't mind."

"I can do that Kathryn," Christian said; "We can pretend it's champagne. We can do all the things we did before-- talk, laugh, make love. I've missed holding your body against me, my love."

"I've missed feeling the touch of your hands on my skin, Christian," Kathryn said as Christian unbuttoned her blouse.

"You'll need something to wear to bed," he said. "I think I may have an old dress shirt you can use..."

Soon, she was wearing nothing but one of Christian's old dress shirts. He was outfitted in pajama pants and a robe.

He led her back into the living room, and had her wait while he got the ginger ale from the kitchen. He returned with two champagne flutes and the ginger ale.

"Ahh, my sweet," he said in a phony French accent that always made her laugh, "Vat ve have here is ze best champagne in all of Frahhhnze! Vintage 2034. Does this meet with ze lady's approval, no?"

"An excellent year," Kathryn said as Christian handed her a glass. "Now sit down here you goof and let's toast to something."

Christian thought about it for a moment, then said, "To us, Kathryn. To finally being together as a couple and a family."

"To us," Kathryn said as they lightly clinked their glasses together and took a sip of the bubbly mixer.

Christian took Kathryn's glass and placed it on the end table. He gently lifted Kathryn's face so she looked him in the eyes. "Oh, Kathryn," he said softly; "I've missed you so much over these months and months of uncertainty. I can't bear being apart from you, my precious girl. Other than our daughters, you're the only other person who means anything to me. I'd give up everything tomorrow if it meant you would never have to leave again. I love you so much, Kathryn Marie, it hurts."

"All I want, Christian, is to come home to you and our girls," Kathryn said; "I'm tired of the roller coaster my life is; I need you, Christian. I love you so much, my darling..."

Kathryn loosed Christian's robe and pulled it from his body, revealing his strong arms and muscled chest. She leaned in to kiss him. He met her lips and their kiss deepened. They were soon laying on the floor in front of the fire making love. It was the two of them in their own world.

But it was, unbeknownst to them, being watched by eyes that would use what they saw to be inspired and empowered.

And it would change her life.

===


Helene lay in bed, not really tired. She heard her parents' voices so she knew they were still awake talking. She heard her mother's laughter at some silly thing her father was doing, Helene was sure of it.

Soon, though, the talking stopped. They must have gone to bed, she thought. She decided that she'd go into the kitchen and get a glass of milk.

Helene had gotten to the end of the hallway when she heard her father's voice; or what sounded like his voice, but nearly a full octave lower than his normal speaking voice. Soon after, her mother's voice, sounding almost angelic.

The sight she saw startled her. There, in front of the fire, were her parents, laying on the floor. Her father was kneeling above her mother.

Helene realized in an instant what was going on. Near the wall that made up the back of the living room were a couple of loungers with a lamp and a table between them. She dropped to the floor and crawled behind the chair in the far corner. From that vantage point, she could still see her parents clearly, but they couldn't see her.

And she watched in awe at the scene playing out before her.

They were silouettes to her. A man. A woman. They were dancing the ultimate pas de deux; a life affirming, life changing, life creating dance. His hand came up and caressed her shoulder; her breast; her hips. She allowed him between her legs and he moved in a definite rhythm against her. Her arms, reaching for her lover, around his neck. Caressing his shoulders; resting at the small of his back; urging him on as she became closer and closer to releasing her pent up desires.

Their voices-- low, passion filled, speaking a language only the two of them understood. Occasionally, words that Helene understood were spoken.

Kathryn.

Christian.

I love you.

I've missed you.

The dancers in this extraordinary ballet were her parents. The people who gave her life, who brought her and her sisters into the world, who loved each other with everything they had.

Suddenly, her mother's back arched and she emitted a sound from her lips that was half scream, half whisper. It repeated until she was spent, and her father pushed against her-- once; twice; three times. Then, it was over.

Helene felt the tears roll down her cheeks. She'd never witnessed anything so perfect, so beautiful, so full of passion. Helene thought she knew passion: the desire to be the best ballerina she knew how to be. But it didn't even come close to comparing to what she just watched.

It would push her desire to dance to greater heights, empower her to be the best, inspire her to look for passion in places no one thought to look. When she got older, she'd understand what she saw for what it really was; the love between a man and a woman, if they fit together perfectly, was unconditional. Though her mother had been away, her father waited for her to return to him.

Helene fell asleep hoping for a love like that. Like what her parents had. True love wasn't a fairy tale. It was real, and she'd seen it with her own two eyes.

===

No comments:

Post a Comment