21 March, 2011

Chapter 32

I



Sandrina felt herself being pushed to one side, a move that came without warning. As she fell to the ground, she landed on her right wrist wrong and felt the bones snap.

She looked on in disbelief and Peter raised the gun, said something, then fired. Once Pollard was dead, Peter inexpicably turned around and walked back towards the house without a word.

"What the hell..." she said aloud; "Peter...?"

She heard her father run up from his hiding place in the woods. He attempted to help Sandrina off the ground, when she then realized her wrist, and possibly her arm were broken.

"We'll have Jasmine take a look at that, Sandy," Nik said; "What the fuck is up with Peter? He was supposed to stay hidden!"

"I don't know, Dad," Matt said; "He surprised the hell out of me!"

Nik looked at the now deceased Clayton Pollard. "At least this asswipe is history. I'll go call the police and the rescue squad," he sighed.

As he was helping Sandrina back to the house, Matt asked her, "Should I put another bullet in him, just to make sure he's really dead?"

"No, Matt," Sandrina said; "I think Peter got him just fine all by himself. Look where the bullet went. Right between the eyes! What's gotten into our younger brother, Matt?"

"I honestly have no idea," Matt said; "All I'm concerned about now is calming Lisa down. She's probably freaking out now."



Jasmine took a look at Sandrina's arm, and said, "Definitely a broken wrist. Whether the arm is also broken, I won't be able to tell without an x-ray."

"You got off lucky," Alex said; "Considering that Pollard wanted to kill us."

Sandrina looked at Alex. I wonder if he's changed his mind about me now because of this, she thought. I wouldn't blame him if he booked the next flight out of O'Hare.

As Sandrina waited while the police were taking statements, she sat on the couch and suddenly felt exhausted. Alex sat next to her and put his arm around her.

"You're a brave, fearless girl, Sandy," he said; "You aren't like any other girl I've ever met."

"Because I'm not like any other girl you've met, Alex," Sandrina said.

"Indeed you're not," he replied; "That's why I like you so much. You're headstrong and independent; you and your family are close, caring, and have each other's backs. But then, when you're with me, you're just Sandy."

"What are you trying to tell me, Alex?" Sandrina asked.

Alex leaned close to Sandrina's ear and whispered, "I'm trying to tell you that I'm falling hard for you."

Sandrina's eyes opened wide with surprise.

===



Eric arrived at Krysta's apartment within the hour as he promised. Krysta let him in, and he was surprised at how empty her apartment seemed to be.

"You just move in here?" he asked.

"No, I've been here about four years."

"There's no personal stuff that I can see. Just furniture, carpets, drapes..." Eric said.

"I don't have any personal things, Eric," Krysta said, suddenly embarrassed. "No pictures or knick knacks or shit like that."

"I intend to change that, Krysta," Eric said; "I want you to move in with me after Kelly and Kathryn leave."

Krysta looked shocked. She had hoped Eric would ask her to do just that, but like all things in her life, she learned not to think about her desires. Her mantra was "if I don't expect too much, I won't be disappointed."

Then again, they had only known each other a little over a month. But Eric was a man of his word, and she was learning to trust him. It was herself she didn't trust.

"I don't know what to say, Eric," she said. "I kind of like it here. It's close to everything I need."

"Except people to share your life with," Eric noted; "Krysta, you live like a hermit, and I know you're so much more than that."

"If I keep to myself, then no one will bother me," Krysta said.

"If you open yourself up to life, and not live in fear of your past, Krysta, then things tend to be better all around," Eric said. "That's it, isn't it? You're afraid someone will find out about your past and reject you."

Krysta hung her head. He was right. "Yes, Eric," she said softly; "That's what scares me. That I'm unloveable because of my past."

Eric just stood there, looking at the stark white walls; the plain brown carpet; the secondhand furniture, while nice, was a boring and lifeless color as well. Krysta was full of life, and they way she lives should reflect that, he thought.

"I'm still here, and I know about your past," Eric said softly, placing his hand gently on Krysta's cheek; "Everyone deserves love. You taught me that."

He saw her eyes fill with tears, and he drew her into him and held her. Krysta sobbed against him for a while, with Eric reassuring her that he wouldn't leave without her; "Shh, Krysta, it's okay my angel..."

About an hour later, they left Krysta's apartment and headed to the lake house.

You're not going back to that apartment for any reason other than to pack up and move out, Eric vowed; I never cared about your past, Krysta, he thought as he drove, it's you and your life I care about. I want some kind of future with you.

===



Darren's phone rang at a most inopportune time, as it usually did.

He and Natasha lay in bed after making love, with her curled around him. He always admired her fair skin, and how soft it was under his hand.

As he reached over for his secure phone, he said, "Who in the hell would be calling on Christmas Eve? This better be fucking good!"

He flipped it open and growled, "Dixon. This better be good."

"Oh, I assure you, Director," Jeremiah said, "this is good."

"Shit, Donovan, don't you ever stop working?"

"Yeah, I do," Jeremiah said; "This isn't about the news, it's about the job that Nik, Julia and I do for you."

"Well, what is it," Darren said, sighing.

"Nik's son Peter killed an A.R.M. operative named Clayton Pollard. He'd been stalking Sandrina San Marco since she started at Georgetown in the fall," Jeremiah said.

"Wait," Darren said; "Isn't Peter the one who was hit by the car last January?" Upon hearing her nephew's name, Natasha lifted her head off Darren's chest. She had a concerned look on her face.

"Yes," Jeremiah said.

"Holy Jesus Christ on the Cross!" Darren said excitedly; "What's going to happen with this Pollard, now that he's dead?"

"Like I care what happens to him, Director?" asked Jeremiah sarcastically. "He's dead."

"Look," Darren said, "is Nik there?"

"He is, but he's a little preoccupied with police; and Sandrina may have broken her wrist somehow," Jeremiah said; "At least that's what my wife thinks."

"Tell him I'll be in touch," Darren said; "I'll inform the President of what happened and let him worry about it during Christmas dinner."

Darren ended the call and closed the phone. Before he could say anything, Natasha asked, "What did Peter do?"

"He killed the man who's been following Sandy around, apparently," Darren said. "Asswipe followed her all the way to Chicago, and had plans to wipe out both Nik's and Jeremiah's families."

"Lovely," Natasha said sarcastically; "Anyone else get hurt?"

"Jeremiah thinks that Sandy may have a broken wrist, but he didn't go into any details," said Darren. "Now I have to call the President and inform him of the latest developments."

"Is Peter okay?" asked Natasha.

"I gathered that he's okay from what Jeremiah said," replied Darren; "I'll probably have to speak with Nik and Peter at some point."

Darren then got on the phone and called the President's private number.

===


"So, when you you want to schedule this, Niki?" asked her father.

Niki looked at David with a look of determination. That's my girl, David thought as he awaited Niki's answer.

"As soon as possible, Dad," she said; "So that Kimber and John don't have to miss too much school and/or work. I'm calling Dr. Kinsella's office the day after Christmas."

"And everyone's on board with this plan? John, Kimber...Drake?" asked David.

"Everyone is in agreement, Dad, yes," Niki said; "I just want to get this done so I can live the rest of my life without this hanging over my head."

"I don't blame you there, babygirl," David said; "And I know Drake doesn't want to lose you."

"I want my life back, Dad," Niki said. "I hate being this sick, I hate doing chemo, and I hate being an emotional burden on everyone."

"I can't speak for everyone else, Nicole," David said; "But your mother and I have never considered you a burden in any way, shape or form. These things happen. I'm only thankful that your illness was caught in time so that you can have a chance at that life you want."

"Thanks, Dad," Niki said. "That means a lot to me."

"You mean a lot to me, Nicole," David said; "You, your sister and brothers, and your significant others. Your mom and I just want what's best for everyone."

"I know, Dad," Niki said.

"Now," David said as he stood up from his office chair; "let's go see what kind of goodies your mom and Kimber have come up with."

With that, David and Niki headed downstairs.

===
II



Eric and Krysta arrived back at the lake house, where Kelly and Kathryn had made snacks. "It's Christmas Eve, after all," Kelly said; "We should make our guest feel at home."

As soon as Kathryn saw Krysta, she practically ran over to give the younger woman a hug. "I've missed your visits, Krysta!" Kathryn practically exclaimed.

"I've missed seeing you, Kathryn," Krysta replied. "I was telling Eri...your dad what Cameron had told me."

"What did Cameron tell you?" asked Kathryn.

Krysta hedged, then said, "That you needed time to bond with your father again, so perhaps I shouldn't visit for a while."

"That's not fair," Kathryn said; "I need to see everyone, so that my life will start to make sense. Cameron told me that herself. I wonder what would cause her to decide that having you visit was a distraction."

Oh, I know, Kathryn, Krysta thought; the father of your three younger daughters told Cameron to ask me not to visit.

Kelly brought out the snack tray and set it on the coffee table in front of the couch. Eric brought out some sparkling cider and champagne flutes.

As they talked and enjoyed the snacks, Eric asked Kathryn if she still wanted to speak with him in private.

"Yes, I do," was all she said.

Later, while Kelly and Krysta were getting acquainted, Kathryn followed her father into his study. As they were getting seated and comfortable, Eric asked,

"All right, Kathryn Marie, you wanted to tell me something in private. So tell me."

Kathryn had forgotten about how brusque her father's manner could be at times. She believed it was because he was a lawyer that he had to adapt that tone of voice. She didn't like it when she was young, and found that it still rubbed her the wrong way.

"Dad, I wanted to tell you something that you ought to know about me and what has been happening to me since I left home," said Kathryn.

"What is it, Kathryn?"

"I have had long periods of time when I was me, and long periods of time when I was Chastity. One of the longest was around the time I turned eighteen. Chastity changed my name to hers. But shortly after that, I became present. It was while I was working as a stripper, as Chastity. She had apparently taken a client back to her room with her, and in the middle of what they were doing, I became present. The client saw the change.

"When we were done, he offered to take me away from that life. I accepted because I didn't want to do the things that Chastity did. He got me medical care, counselling and treatment for a cocaine addiction that Chastity had. He told me that if I wanted to leave after that, I could. But I didn't. I fell in love with him instead, and he with me.

"Long story short, we have a relationship. We also have three children together. I last saw him and our daughters when the youngest was about three. She's five now."

Eric was dumbfounded. I have three other grandchildren? he asked himself. Kathryn managed to be in a stable relationship when she was present?

"How old are the other two daughters, Kathryn?" he asked.

"Twelve and eleven."

"And the youngest is five? Why the big gap?"

"Chastity came back when our second daughter was two," Kathryn said. "Christian sent me away because as Chastity, I was mean and cruel. I don't know where I was when I was Chastity. I came home about a year or so later as me, so the girls were three and four. I was me from that point until my youngest was three, and apparently Chastity became present because I was sent away again. I became present this time because I somehow ended up in the hospital."

Eric still wasn't able to wrap his head around the fact that Kathryn had other children, had a stable relationship when Chastity wasn't present, and was entrusting this knowledge to him.

"Your daughters, Kathryn," he said; "What are their names?"

Kathryn smiled, and Eric could see she was proud of her daughters.

"Helene is twelve; Erin is eleven; and Lili is five," Kathryn said.

"You named your oldest after your mother," Eric said; "She'd be so thrilled to know that, Kathryn!"

"She and Kelly kind of look similar," Kathryn said.

Eric had to know more about the man who saved Kathryn from life as a junkie stripper and believed in her enough fall in love with her and give her three daughters.

"You mentioned the name Christian, Kathryn," Eric said; "Tell me more about him."

"He's been more than patient with me, Dad," Kathryn said; "He's a great father and has taken up the slack in light of my failings. I'd like to go see him and the girls while I'm out of the clinic if I can."

"What does Christian do for work?" Eric asked.

"He runs his family's manufacturing business. It's been in his family for three generations, and he hopes to pass it on to one of his sons someday," Kathryn said.

"He has other children? From another marriage?" asked Eric.

"Yes. They're on their own," Kathryn said.

"Kathryn, how old of a man is Christian?"

"A little older than you, Dad," Kathryn said; "I know it sounds crazy, but he saved me, and I saved him."

"Are you married to him?"

"No," Kathryn said, sadly; "We were going to after Erin was born, but Chastity messed things up."

"If you were to go back to him," said Eric, "would he marry you?"

"I'm sure he would."

The only thing that nagged at Eric Hope was Christian's surname. He only knew of one man with that first name who was close to Eric's age.

Christian DeWitt. A man Eric had tangled with in court countless times.

A man who some said was the wealthiest man in the state of New York, if not the entire northeastern region of the country.

A man who may or may not be funneling money into a group who wanted a second Occupation.

A man who might be the father of Kathryn's three daughters.

And, even if all that was true, Eric would not stop Kathryn from returning to the family she and Christian started together.

If that's what she really wanted.

And Eric suspected that she did.

===


Jaime was out in the barn checking on Coltrane and his mother. The young colt was getting big, fast, and was quite fond of everyone. But it was Jaime he responded to the most.

As soon as he heard Jaime's voice, he ran over to the side of the stall to see her.

"Wow, you're getting big!" Jaime said. "I think Jack may have to make a bigger place for you and your mama."

Mama, however, had other plans for her colt. She nudged him over to her side where he began to nurse.

"You're such a good mama," Jaime told her; "Making sure your baby gets what he needs. Oh, you've discovered the carrots, haven't you?" Jaime laughed as Mama poked her head behind Jaime's back, sniffing at the bunches of carrots she had.

"Okay, okay, just you wait a sec there," Jaime said as she put the carrots in the feeding trough, where Mama made short work of them.

Jack walked into the barn and watched as Jaime interacted with the horses. She really is good with animals, he thought; maybe I should look into seeing if BIA will allow me to purchase them for her.

He wanted to do things for Julia's family, because they were his family now, too. His illness was just going to get worse, and he wanted them to know how much he did care for them.

He watched Jaime talk to the horses, and decided that if she wanted to go to veterinary school, he would provide the funds for her to do so.

I can't take it with me, after all, he thought as he walked back toward the house.

===
III


Sandrina had her wrist examined at the hospital, and found that she only broke the wrist, and not the arm as she had feared. It's going to make doing my assignments at school a little difficult, she thought, but I'm sure that I can work around that.

Peter had been apologizing the whole time to her about having to push her out of the way to kill Pollard. "Don't worry about it, Pete," she said; "it's an occupational hazard we all face."

"I don't know my own strength, apparently," Peter said.

"Well whatever they had you doing in physical therapy certainly made you stronger than your average almost 16 year old," Sandrina said. She then asked, "Did Matt ease Lisa's mind about the shit that went down tonight?"

"I don't know," Peter said; "I don't want to know what those two do in private!"

Alex had been listening to this exchange between Sandrina and her brother, and thought about his own confession to her before they headed off to the hospital to have her wrist set. I'm in love with her, he thought; All this time I thought we were friends, and it turns out I've been falling for her this whole time. He wanted to protect her, but he also knew that she could take care of herself.

Once back at the house, the excitement had died down, and the Donovans were getting ready to return to their home. Aaliyah saw the cast on Sandrina's wrist and asked, "Mom was right, wasn't she?"

"About my wrist being broken?" Sandrina asked; "Yeah, she was right on the money. She's just good like that."

Aaliyah giggled. Her parents were trying to get everyone together so they could leave. Adriana came up to Sandrina and gave her a hug, saying,

"I think Alex is in love with you, cousin."

"He pretty much told me he was," Sandrina said; "That makes me happy, Riana. I've never had a real relationship with a guy who just wasn't looking to meet my dad."

"I hear that, Sandy," Adriana said; "I get either the 'what's it like being the daughter of a hero of the Resistance' or 'what's having a dad who has won a Pulitzer like?' Usually I'll say something like he's the same as everyone else's dad."

"And, while true," Sandrina said; "it can be different, too."

Before Adriana could respond, Jasmine said, "I know you and your cousin have loads to talk about, but we need to get home. You can talk tomorrow when they come over for dinner."

The Donovans took their leave then, and the San Marcos, Alex Springer and Lisa Cooper, were left to clean up and head to bed.

As Peter fell asleep that night, he heard the voice of the Drill Sergeant say, "You've done well, Grandson..."

Peter was too far into sleep to question it. He wouldn't remember it in the morning.

===



After dinner and more conversation, everyone but Eric decided to retire for the evening.

"I hope you didn't get me a gift, Eric," Krysta said; "Because I don't have one for you."

"You being here, and not alone in that apartment of yours is gift enough, Krysta," he said. "And I did get you a couple of things. Why do you think we stopped by that crowded shopping mall on the way back here?"

"You said it was to have lunch and window shop," Krysta said; "I didn't know you had bought me anything."

"I bought a few things for everyone here," Eric said. "I did have a couple of shopping bags if you recall."

"All I know for sure is that you bought a couple of shirts and a pair of jeans, Eric," Krysta said playfully. "You made a big enough deal in trying them on and showing them to me."

"I know," Eric said, "but when you went to go look at the jewelry and all that other stuff, I was able to sneak in some things for you ladies, too."

"Well, I'm going to go to bed now, Eric," Krysta said; "I'll see you in the morning."

Eric was slightly taken aback by that statement, but let it drop. Maybe it's best, he thought, if I didn't flaunt my relationship with Krysta in front of Kelly and Kathryn just yet.

As Krysta walked up the hall to the bedroom she chose, Kathryn poked her head out of her bedroom and said, "Krysta, do you a minute to visit?"

Krysta looked at her friend. It had been a while since she had been to see Kathryn at the clinic. "Sure, Kathryn," she said.

Once in Kathryn's bedroom, she asked Krysta, "Who told you not to visit me at the clinic?"

"Cameron did, but I suspect that someone else asked her to ask me not to," Krysta said.

"Cameron is supposed to be a professional," Kathryn said; "It shouldn't matter who comes to visit. It shouldn't change her treatment plan for me."

"I think, Kathryn, that it's the same person who's been paying for your treatment at the clinic," Krysta said; "Your father was paying for it, then was told your bill would be taken care of."

"Who would do that?" asked Kathryn.

"You really don't know?"

"If I knew, I wouldn't be asking, Krysta," Kathryn said. "Besides, that's not really the reason I asked you to come in here."

Krysta looked at Kathryn, then said, "What is the reason, Kathryn?"

"I told my dad about Christian and the girls," Kathryn said; "The whole sordid story about how we met, how he saved me from Chastity's life, about falling in love and having children, about my struggles with Chastity that caused Christian to send me away twice. Everything."

"And how did your father take it?" asked Krysta; "What did he think about having three more granddaughters and about Christian?"

"I think he took it well," Kathryn said; "He had questions to ask, and I answered them. I'm not sure he liked the fact that Christian is older than he is, but Dad said that he'd try to deal with that. And I told him I wanted to go see them while I was out of the clinic, even if it was for a few hours. I miss them all terribly."

"What about getting to know your oldest daughter?" asked Krysta. "How is she going to react to the news she has three other sisters she didn't know about?"

"I was planning to talk to her about that tomorrow," Kathryn said; "I think she suspects that I'm not being completely truthful with her."

"Kelly is a very intelligent girl, Kathryn, you have to give her that," Krysta said.

"But I had nothing to do with it," Kathryn said, feeling herself become emotional; "I remember her being born. I don't have any memories of anything after that until I met Christian. Chastity stole my chance to be a mother to my child!"

"But you know what happened, and Eric told me that Kelly understands you were ill and why you left her with her grandparents," Krysta said; "It's not your fault Kathryn!"

Kathryn dried her eyes with a tissue, saying, "I know, but I still feel terrible about it, especially since my other daughters had me from birth onward, except when Chastity made her untimely appearances."

"You can't change the past, Kathryn," Krysta said; "but you can influence how things turn out from this point forward. I think you should see Christian and your girls; you should tell Kelly about her sisters; you should tell your father you want a father/daughter relationship with him. And with the coping skills you're learning, maybe Chastity never has to come back."

"I hope so," Kathryn said; "I really hope you're right, Krysta."

===
IV



Matt and Lisa lay in bed that night and talked about everything that had happened that day.

"I know you're good at what you do, Matt, but sometimes, it's a little too much for me," Lisa said as she laid her head on Matt's chest. "I know that's weird given who my dad is, and what he did for the Disturbed Ones during the Occupation, but he never taught me and my sister how to use weapons. My brother, yes; us, no."

"I just wanted you to be okay, Lisa," said Matt; "Every since our apartment was broken into last May, you've been all kinds of jumpy. I know that my training sometimes gives you pause, and I've offered to teach you what I know many times."

"There are non violent solutions to everything," Lisa said; "I have to keep telling myself that."

"The man who was here threatened to kill all of us, Lisa," Matt said; "there was no other solution except to take him out. It's a lot more complicated than even I think I give it credit for."

"In this instance, yes," Lisa said; "I understand why it had to end the way it did. But couldn't you use your skills in more useful ways?"

"The only way I see is to join the Army, and I'm not doing that," Matt said; "Dad loves that shit, and I think Peter would, too. I'm not the kind of man who can take orders from people I can't respect. My dad is different because I do respect him, his skill, and the way he conducts his life. But he's not God, and he knows that. Give the wrong people power, and they think they're better than God Himself. I don't respect that."

"I'd like to learn to shoot at least," Lisa said; "So I don't have to depend on you to save me if something like the break in happens again. I mean, what if we were home that day instead of taking finals?"

"That's why I want to teach you gun safety and how to shoot," Matt said; "So you can do just that. We can start now, or wait til we get back to Charlottesville."

"You're not going to make me get up while it's still dark, are you?" asked Lisa.

"No, Lisabeth, I'm not," Matt chuckled; "I'll let you get your beauty sleep."

"Silly..." Lisa said as Matt kissed her.

===



The next morning, Kathryn invited Kelly to join her on a walk around the lake. They talked about various things, then Kathryn told her about the three half-sisters that Kelly had, and Kathryn's desire to go see them while she was out of the clinic for the holidays. Kelly seemed to handle it pretty well until she said,

"Have I done something to upset you, Kathryn?"

"No, why do you ask?"

"Because," Kelly said, "you want to spend Christmas with them and not with me and Grandfather."

"Kelly," Kathryn said, "it has nothing to do with who I want to be with more. I do want to get to know you, but I realize I can't change the past. I have to go on with the present. I can't make up 16 years in the two weeks I'll be out of the clinic."

"I know," Kelly said, "and I know I'm probably asking too much by making you choose. It's not fair of me, and I realize that I'm probably jealous because Helene, Erin and Lili had more time with you than I did. But you should go see them. We have the rest of our lives to get to know one another, Kathryn. I would hate to see you lose contact with the other girls. I would like to meet them someday. I've always wanted a little sister, now I have three of them!"

"It's a lot to process, I know," Kathryn said; "And a lot to spring on you at Christmas time."

"But what an awesome present," Kelly said; "To find out that I have other siblings. Sisters at that. Promise me you'll take pictures!"

Kathryn laughed, and Kelly smiled sheepishly. "Why don't we head back to the house, Kelly," Kathryn said; "I think I might have presents to buy."

===



After the Chistmas Eve matinee of "The Nutcracker", DeWitt took his daughters out to lunch at the club he belonged to. Every year, they held a Christmas Eve celebration, and members were encouraged to bring family. It was something that Helene, in particular, grew to hate.

Too many questions about school, her mother, her dancing; the fake smiles on the overly made up middle aged women irritated her. One woman in particular wanted her father in the worst way, and even at twelve, Helene could see that. She acted like some of the older girls in the dance company. Good thing that Dad sets her straight, Helene thought; but what a loser she is!

And it started as soon as Helene, her sisters and her father walked in the door. One man fightened Lili so badly that she began to cry. Helene and Erin tried to comfort her. DeWitt noticed this and decided that maybe, just this once, they could skip this charade.

"Let me say our goodbyes, then we'll get out of here," he told his daughters. "I'll just tell them Lili isn't feeling well."

"I'm really not, Daddy," Lili said.

"Oh, you can't be sick for Christmas!" Erin said; "That's against the rules!"

"What rules?" Lili asked.

"Rule number 1225 states, and I quote," Erin said with great flourish, "It is against this rule for anyone under the age of eight and one half years to be sick on Christmas day. Unquote."

Lili laughed. "The Rules" was a story that their father made up when Helene and Erin were little girls. Most of the "Rules" were made up on the spot, the Christmas one was one of several that remained the same.

Soon DeWitt returned and they headed back to the car. Inside the car, he asked the girls if they wanted to go out somewhere else, or go home.

"I want to go home, Daddy," Lili said.

"Me too, Dad," Erin said.

"I want to go out, but it looks like I'm outnumbered. Again," Helene said, laughing.

"Well, Helene, since you danced so superbly, you get to pick the place we order in from," DeWitt said.

"Will they deliver a pizza on Christmas Eve?" she asked.

"We can find out," DeWitt said as he got out his phone and called the pizza place closest to their house.

After placing the order, DeWitt drove his daughters home. The pizza arrived soon afterward. Pizza is what Helene always wanted after the last show, because she was too young to stay for the afterparty that the company held. After today, Helene would give up pizza to keep in shape for dancing.

That evening, after Lili went to bed, Helene asked her father what he wanted for Christmas if he could have anything in the world.

"The same thing I've wanted for the last two Christmases, Helene," he said; "For your mother to come home."

"I want Mom to come home, too, Dad," Helene said; "Only she knows when that time is, doesn't she?"

"I really don't know, princess," DeWitt said. "I really and truly don't know."

Helene saw her father grow sad, and she wished she hadn't asked him her question. She knew he missed her mother. He tried not to show it, but sometimes, Helene noticed, he wasn't as successful. Maybe because I'm older now, I notice it more, she thought.

She bid her father goodnight and headed to bed. In her bedroom, she arranged the flowers that her father and sisters had given her the night before. Helene truly wished that one day, her mother would come home so that her father wouldn't be so sad.

She had no idea that her father's wish, and the wish of Helene and her sisters, was about to come true.

===



"Do you remember where you lived with your family?" asked Eric.

"I have a general idea, but I couldn't tell you an address," Kathryn said; "Isn't that sad? I don't know where I live?"

"You've had so much other stuff to remember," Kelly pointed out, "that remembering where you live kind of got pushed aside."

"I agree, Kathryn," Krysta said as the four of them met in the living room about Kathryn going to see her family; "But if you want to go see them, we're going to need an address. I could look it up on the internet if you want."

Kathryn looked at Krysta gratefully. "Would you do that?" she asked.

"Sure. It probably wouldn't be that hard to look up, if one knows where to look," Krysta said.

"Even if it's unlisted?" Kelly asked; "I mean, if he runs a corporation, I'm sure they don't want their home address known to just anyone."

"I have ways of finding out information that no one's supposed to know about," Krysta said; "It's part of my job."

"I'll be happy to take you there, Kathryn," Eric said, "if we can come up with an address. Krysta, work your magic and see what you come up with."

After a few moments, Krysta found something. She asked Kathryn, "Does Costner Drive sound familiar?"

"Yes!" she said; "Nineteen Costner Drive! You're a genius!"

"Not really," Krysta said, downplaying her talents for hacking into the DeWitt Corporation database. "The site I found it on is available to the public, but parts of it are private. I just found a way into the private areas."

"You hacked into it, in other words," Kelly said.

"Basically, yes."

"You're not afraid of getting caught?" Eric asked.

"Not if they think I'm someone with access, no," Krysta replied. Chastity had access. Stealing Chastity's code and password was easy. She very rarely kept anything she did online a secret. Hacking into Chastity's computer at A.R.M. headquarters was too easy. Chastity's password for everything was "bitch".

"So, Kathryn," Eric said to his daughter, "when do you want to make your visit?"

"Tomorrow, after breakfast and presents," she said.

"Very good, then," Eric said in a tone of voice that Kelly knew meant the discussion was closed; "Your daughters are 12,11, and 5. They'll need presents from their mother, won't they?"

===



Lili was up before the sun even made an appearance. She made her way to her father's bedroom and stood beside his bed and whispered, "Daddy, it's Christmas. Can we open presents yet?"

DeWitt turned over to look at the clock. It was 5:45am. "No, Lilibet, not yet," he said. "Go back to bed now, princess. I'll come get you to open presents, okay?"

"Okay, Daddy," she pouted. "Can I see if Santa came?"

"No, Lili," DeWitt said; "Back to bed with you." He got up and accompanied his excited five year old back to bed. "You stay put until it's later than it is now. Try and get some sleep, okay?"

"Okay," she said as her father tucked her in.

He then went back to bed, but had trouble falling back to sleep. He thought about his and Kathryn's first Christmas together, when she was pregnant with Helene...

She had been on bedrest because her pregnancy was difficult. Kathryn hated not being able to do anything to help Christian prepare for Christmas. She was sitting on the couch in the living room in front of the fire with her feet up.

"How's my angel this morning?" Christian asked.

"Feeling like a fat, lazy cow," Kathryn replied. "April 30th couldn't get here soon enough."

"You're not fat, Kathryn, you're pregnant, and I think you're even more beautiful than when we first met," Christian said.

"I know, Christian," she said; "I just don't like not doing anything but sitting here."

"It's good for the baby, and good for you," Christian said; "But I have something for you."

"You do?"

"Indeed," he said as he handed her a box with a beautiful bow on top.

She opened it to reveal a music box. Upon opening it, she saw that it had a small ballerina, and played "Clare de Lune".

"It's beautiful, Christian!" Kathryn exclaimed; "I've never seen anything so pretty!"

"I saw you looking at it one day after your doctor's appointment, and thought you might like it," Christian said. "I remembered how disappointed you were when you went back and it was gone."

"You bought it," Kathryn said.

"I did, and I hoped that you would love as much at home as you did in the store," said Christian.

"You shouldn't spoil me so, Christian," Kathryn said, admiring the music box. "A girl could get used to this."

"I didn't have any daughters to spoil, so I'll spoil the woman who's carrying my little girl," Christian said as he sat next to her. Once seated, he asked,

"Have you thought of any names for her yet?"

"A few, but one I keep coming back to," Kathryn said; "But you probably won't like it."

"What is it?" asked Christian.

"I want to name her after my mother," Kathryn said; "I want to name her Helene."

"Why wouldn't I like that?" Christian asked; "I think it's a pretty name, and not real common anymore. I like that you want to honor your mother that way."

"She'll never know," Kathryn said sadly; "Chastity burned all my bridges behind her."

"You don't know that," Christian said. "We could get in contact with your parents before the baby arrives if you'd like."

"I don't know," Kathryn said; "I'm scared to. I'm scared that they won't want anything to do with me after everything I put them through."

"Why don't you think about it, Kathryn," Christian said; "I'll go with whatever you decide. I like the name you've chosen for our daughter, though."

Kathryn blushed. She was sure Christian would hate it. She then said, "Christian, I got something for you, too."

"Oh? What is it?" he asked.

"It's in the blue box," Kathryn said.

"Don't move, I'll get it," Christian said. He reached over and picked up the blue box. He opened it and found inside a desk set, complete with a journal.

"I didn't know what you needed or wanted," Kathryn said; "I never had to buy anything nice for a man who could buy the world."

"I can hardly buy the world," Christian said; "But I love this, Kathryn! And it matches the desk. The journal is great! I'll have to start writing stuff down."

"I'm glad you like it," Kathryn said; "I'm really pleased that I found something you like."

"It could be made of plastic and come from Walmart, and I'd love it just as much, because you gave it to me," Christian said.

"You've probably never even stepped foot into a Walmart!" Kathryn said, laughing.

"Ahh, Kathryn my sweet," Christian said; "There is so much about me you still need to know. And for the record, I have been in my share of Walmart stores."

"Right, Christian," Kathryn said; "You'll have to tell me about that some time."

"Oh, I will, Kathryn," Christian said as he leaned in to kiss her; "I definitely will."



DeWitt got up and went to the closet at the far end of his bedroom. High on a shelf, he took down a box and brought it back to the bed with him.

Opening it, he removed the music box that was his first Christmas gift to Kathryn. He decided that he would give it to Helene when she turned thirteen the following May. Or whenever Kathryn returned home to him and their girls for good. Whichever came first.

He opened the music box and the music played while the ballerina danced; and Christian DeWitt shed tears, afraid he'd never see his Kathryn again.

===



After breakfast and unwrapping presents, Kathryn was ready to go see her family on Costner Drive. She wondered if Christian would even let her in the house.

She was very nervous about making the visit, and felt herself become afraid. I have to do this, Kathryn thought; I have to conquer my fears and become whole again. Chastity relies on my fears to take control of me, and I will not let her control me anymore.

"You ready to go, Kathryn?" asked Eric as he handed her a shopping bag.

"As ready as I'll ever be," Kathryn said; "But I'm a little nervous."

"I can only imagine," Eric said; "I think this will be good for you, and for your daughters. Look in the bag. Did Kelly and Krysta do a good job picking presents?"

Kathryn looked inside, where she saw three wrapped boxes with her daughters names on them. "What did you get?" she asked.

"For the twelve year old, we got a vanity set," Krysta said; "A comb, brush, mirror and a tray; For the eleven year old who likes to draw, we got her an art set; and for the five year old, we got her a couple of Barbie dolls."

"I'm sure they'll like those," Kathryn said; "I guess we better get going before I chicken out."

"Your desire to see them is too strong for that, Kathryn," Eric said; "It's your maternal instinct."

After Kathryn and Eric took their leave, Kelly was looking out the window as the car drove off. "I hope she's doing the right thing," she fretted aloud.

"If your grandfather comes back alone," Krysta said, "then Kathryn will have a nice visit with her other children. I don't think even someone like the man who fathered them would turn her away."

"You know more about him than you're letting on, Krysta," Kelly said.

"I do, but I'm not comfortable in discussing it at this point in time," Krysta said.

"Just tell me he loves Kathryn enough to give her another chance," the girl said.

"I believe he does," Krysta said. "I believe he does."

===



The closer she got to Costner Drive, the more landmarks Kathryn recognized. She was feeling pretty good about what she was doing, but still a little nervous. What if Lili asks who I am? she thought; I think that may kill me.

Soon, they approached the house. Kathryn saw Christian's SUV in the driveway and sighed to herself. At least they're home, she thought.

"This is just a regular tract home," Eric said; "I could have sworn that if Christian is as well off as you imply, he'd have you in a big mansion somewhere."

"He's not like that, Dad," Kathryn said. "The girls go to a public school, and have regular friends, just like other girls. They even ride the school bus."

Not what I was thinking at all, Eric thought; Christian DeWitt, for all his wealth, lived like a suburban dad.

Kathryn got out and Eric told her, "I'll wait and see if you go inside, then I'll leave. Call me if you need to come home."

"I will, Dad," Kathryn promised; "I'll let you know if you need to come get me, or if he'll bring me back."

"Okay, Kathryn."

Kathryn walked up the familiar steps to the front door. She was so nervous by this point she felt like she was going to throw up. She then rang the doorbell.

The wait was interminable. Though it was only a few seconds until the door opened, Kathryn felt that her whole existence relied on the moment the person on the other side who was opening the door.

Suddenly, before her, was her daughter Helene. Before Kathryn could say anything, she heard Helene exclaim excitedly,

"Mom!"

===

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You can tell that Helene was excited to see her mother for the first time in years! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete