16 March, 2011

Chapter 31

I



Kathryn had accompanied her father to the airport to pick up Kelly, and she was terrified. What if Kelly isn't as forgiving and tolerant as her father and Cameron said she was? What if she hates me, thought Kathryn.

Eric picked up on Kathryn's nervousness. "What's the matter, Kathryn?" he asked.

"What if Kelly hates me, Dad?" asked Kathryn.

"Kathryn, Kelly knows about the circumstances under which she was left with your mother and me," Eric said. "She doesn't harbor any ill will towards you. She's majoring in psychology to learn why people do some of the things they do, and whether it sets them up for success or failure later in life."

"She has to be really smart, then," Kathryn said; "I mean she's only 16 and in college already."

"She's a very intelligent girl, Kathryn. You should be proud of her," Eric said.

"I had nothing to do with her upbringing, Dad," said Kathryn. "Everything she is is because of you and Mom."

"Perhaps, Kathryn," said Eric; "But you gave her life."

Kathryn had to ponder on that for a while. She thought of the three other girls Chastity forced her to leave behind. She thought of Christian, who only gave her his love when she was lost and alone, again because of Chastity.

She wanted to see Christian, tell him she was sorry she made him send her away.

Just then, a tall, brunette girl emerged from the crowd. Kathryn knew her immediately. Not only from the pictures she had been shown, but because she looked like an older version of her daughter, Helene.

Kelly, she thought.

Kelly approached them and hugged her grandfather, then hugged Kathryn. "I've looked forward to meeting you, Kathryn," she said; "I hope that while you're with us, we can get to know each other better."

Kathryn just wanted to cry, which Kelly picked up on right away. I've triggered something in her, she thought. I hope it's not her other personality.

All that went through Kathryn's mind was how she needed to get back to Christian and their girls somehow.

Can I trust Dad and Kelly with that? Kathryn asked herself, as she, her father and Kelly walked to the car.

===


"I'm going to lure him out of the woods," Sandrina said.

"The hell you are, Sandy," Matt said.

"He followed me here, so I'm going to give him what he wants," his sister shot back.

"And what if he shoots you, Sandrina," Nik said; "I won't allow you to do that. Let Matt do it if you must lure him out of the woods."

"With all due respect, Dad," Sandrina said; "I'm the reason he's even here. If he thinks he's getting me, then you and Matt can ambush him once he's out in the open."

"I don't like the idea of sending my only daughter out as 'bait' for a psychopathic killer," said Nik; "You're not going to do it."

But Nik knew that telling any of his children to not do something was pointless. Especially if it had to do with firearms. His children had learned their lessons well, a fact that made Nik proud. It meant that what he and his brothers and sister learned as children had been successfully passed on to another generation.

He still didn't like the plan that Sandrina was proposing. Nik realized, however, that Sandrina was right- the man in the woods stalking the families gathered at the house was there because he had been stalking Sandrina for months.

"And I'm telling you I am, Dad," Sandrina said now; "He means to kill us, all of us. And then he'll find out where Aunt Julia is and kill all of them as well. I'm not going to let that happen."

Nik only sighed. Damn stubborn girl, he thought. Just like both of my sisters.

"If," he said, "you do this, Sandrina, you're going to have to go out armed and not look like you are."

"I know, Dad," said Sandrina.

"I'll cover you from the woods," Matt said; "If you need help, you know the family signal. If after to tell this Pollard jerk to come out unarmed and he's still armed, I'll have justification to blow his miserable life away."

"What if he uses your sister as a shield?" asked Nik.

"I have the advantage of height," Matt said; "There aren't many people out there my height who have my skillset."

"True," said Nik, "but how would you kill him and not harm your sister?"

"I'll take her place," Matt said; "As soon as he lets her go, I'll shoot him."

"Not good enough, Matthias," Nik said; "He could pull some other trick we're not expecting. I'll come up from behind him and disarm him."

"He's shorter than I am," Sandrina said; "I'd say about five-nine or ten. Dad's idea of coming up behind him is a good idea because Pollard could use my height as a hiding place."

"We should take him down long before it gets to the point of him using you as a shield, Sandy," Matt said. "I can come up behind him and disable him. That way, we might not have to kill him and we can let the local cops deal with him."

Matt, Sandrina and their father worked out a plan by which Pollard died as a last resort. Pollard would die that day, but not in the way Nik and his two oldest children planned.

===




Pollard was getting cold. He was getting tired of waiting until dark for his chance to strike. It was nothing that old Jack Daniels couldn't take care of.

Drinking on a stakeout was forbidden by the rules that had been laid down when he was first being trained as an assassin. Pollard thumbed his nose at it. He thought that he did his best work when he had some of the hard stuff in his system. Made him feel big, bad, and invincible.

It would also lead to one of his worst errors in judgement. Clayton Pollard had misjudged Sandrina San Marco the entire time he was stalking her. He led himself to believe that she was just lucky.

It was because she knew what she was doing, and not luck, that helped her best him in the two times they had confronted one another. Pollard failed to realize that.

And this day, he will get his. From someone he tried to kill nearly a year before. And they would show him no mercy.

===



He heard the voice again.

The drill sergeant's voice. He hadn't heard it in a while, not since he first got injured and woke up in the hospital.

"Move, boy!" it would command him.

"I can't," Peter would reply; "everything hurts."

"Boy, there is no such thing as 'can't' in a soldier's vocabulary!"

"But I'm not a soldier; I'm only fifteen," Peter would argue.

"Yet your father trains you and your siblings like soldiers," the Drill Sergeant said. "He expects more from you than 'I can't'."

"I know," Peter said. "I'm weak."

"No, Peter," said the Drill Sergeant, "you're not weak. As you said, you're fifteen. What happened to you is a crime and someday that man will pay for what he did to you."


Only now, Peter heard the Drill Sergeant tell him, "Boy, the man who is hiding like a coward in the woods is the man who tried to kill you. It's your job to protect your sister and your brother from him and give him the punishment he deserves."

Peter looked around to see if anyone was paying attention, then went to his bedroom. He then asked, "How do you know?"

"Yours is not to question why, Peter," said the Drill Sergeant. "You'll take your father's place in Matt and Sandrina's plans. Then take the coward out."

"Is this an order?"

"Yes, Peter," the Drill Sergeant said, "it is. Go speak with your father now."

Peter went back into the living room and walked right up to Nik and said, "Dad, I need to speak to you right away, sir."

Nik looked at his third born. He never calls me "sir", he thought, unless he has something important to tell me.

"In private, Peter?" he asked.

"Yes, sir," Peter replied.

Once alone in Nik's office, Peter told him, "The Drill Sergeant is talking in my head again, Dad."

Nik knew about the Drill Sergeant. He had been "talking" to Peter since he was about eight years old. Nik thought he knew who the Drill Sergeant was, but never let Peter know, in case he was wrong.

"What did he tell you, son?" asked Nik.

"That the man out in the woods is the man who tried to run me down, and that I'm to take your place in Matt and Sandy's plans," Peter said, knowing he sounded like a madman.

"Pete, this may be one time to disobey an order," Nik said; "You're barely recovered from that, and this man is hellbent on killing all of us."

"Dad, I want to do it."

Nik saw the determination and fire in Peter's eyes, and knew that Peter could take on a man who was not as well trained and too arrogant and careless to know what was happening to him until it was too late.

Then he saw Peter change before his eyes. Yes, Peter had grown quite a bit since his accident nearly a year earlier, and he was stronger because of all the therapy he went through, and the limited workouts he had been doing since he was cleared to resume them, but it wasn't about those changes.

It was about the change that a killer goes through while on the hunt. The only person Nik had ever seen do that was Julia.

Nik chose his words carefully as he spoke, "Pete, let's talk to Matt and Sandy about you taking my place. If it's okay with them, it's okay with me."

"Yes, sir," Peter said in a new voice.

===
II


The performance was magical. Christian DeWitt and his younger daughters watched in awe as Helene danced the part of Clara expertly. It proved to be too much for Lili, and by the intermission, she had fallen asleep.

DeWitt noticed this and thought, too much excitement for one so little. But she'd be so disappointed if she didn't get to give her flowers to her sister after it was over.

"Lili?" he asked as he nudged her gently to wake her; "It's intermission, princess."

Lili opened her eyes and saw all the people around them were getting up and going into the lobby for intermission.

"Daddy," she said sleepily, "did I miss a lot? Did I miss Helene dancing?"

"You missed some of Helene dancing," DeWitt told his little girl; "but the best part comes after intermission. We should go out to the lobby and stretch our legs, okay?"

He picked up Lili, and with Erin made their way to the lobby. DeWitt put Lili down so she could walk around. When he stood up, he saw what he thought was a familiar face. The man then turned around and headed for the exit.

If I didn't know better, DeWitt thought, I'd swear that was Chris. But it couldn't be. He hasn't been here in years!

He dismissed the thought and went with Erin and Lili back into the auditorium.

DeWitt had told his two older daughters about the brothers they had from when he was a younger man. Both Helene and Erin had a lot of questions about them, but their father really had no answers. "They just stopped talking to me," he told them. "Maybe someday, you'll get to meet them."

He remembered Kathryn chiding him gently when he mentioned it to her. She said, "Maybe you shouldn't have said anything until there was something to say. You know they'd have a lot of questions."

"I know, and I wasn't thinking about that," DeWitt told her. "But they do have a right to know."

"They do, Christian," Kathryn said; "But this isn't the time."

He took Kathryn into his arms, and held her close. Their third child was due any day. He'd lost her to Chastity once, this time, he was determined to make sure that Kathryn stayed with him and their children.

And she did until shortly after Lili's third birthday. Then she became the foul mouthed and abusive Chastity, and he sent her away again.

He felt tears welling up in his eyes as he and the younger girls sat down in their seats waiting for the second act to begin. Erin noticed, and knew her father was thinking about her mother, and when she would be home.

I hope it's soon, Mama, thought Erin; Daddy misses you.

The lights went down and the second act was about to begin.

===


Kathryn was enjoying getting to know Kelly. There was so much about the girl that Kathryn didn't know, and so much about Kelly's upbringing that Kathryn wished she had been part of.

And Kelly was so intelligent! Kathryn often forgot that Kelly was only sixteen, and would be seventeen the following March. I've missed everything in Kelly's life, Kathryn thought; I can't do that to the other girls; I can't do that to Christian.

She knew she would have to tell her father, at least, that he had three other granddaughters who would love to meet him. Tell him about Christian, who had been so kind to her when she realized where Chastity's life had taken her.

Kathryn remembered that first meeting with Christian so well. Sometimes, it pained her to remember it.

Her client was dressing after their night of sex. She just remained where she was. She had no idea how she got there. All she remembered was this older man having sex with her.

He turned to look at her. The look on his face was softer, more friendly.

"You don't like living this life, do you?" he asked her. "Please, beautiful, tell me your real name."

"K-k-kathryn..." she replied unsteadily. "And you're right, I don't like this life. I didn't choose it."

"I know," he said. "You're definitely not the same girl I picked up at the strip bar last night. There's a problem, isn't there?"

"Yes," she said; "But I don't know what it is. All I know is that sometimes I black out, and when I come to, I'm in the middle of doing something I wouldn't choose for myself."

"Like having sex with me," he said. "I saw the frightened look in your eyes as we began last night. What can I do to help you, Kathryn?"

"I don't want to do this anymore, but I don't know how to get away."

"I'm a single man. My name is Christian. I have a place near downtown. I can take you there. You'll be safe there."

Kathryn looked at Christian like he'd grown a second head. She doesn't believe me, he thought.

"I can tell by your body language that you don't believe me," Christian said; "Please let me prove to you I'm a man of my word. If you stay with me, you won't have to turn tricks anymore, not have to strip anymore. You're a very beautiful, very troubled soul. I can help you, Kathryn."

"I'm...I'm scared," she said, frightened.

He helped her dress, and she noticed how gentle he was with her. She wanted to believe him. She knew, somehow, that he was her only chance to escape the hell Chastity put her into.

He took her to a high rise apartment building just off the business district. He lived on the tenth floor, and the view was incredible.

"Kathryn," he said, "I promise you that you'll get the help you need. If, after that you decide to leave, I'll let you go."

"Christian, I don't know what to say," Kathryn said; "Except thank you."

Soon, Kathryn was in therapy sessions, and getting treatment for the cocaine addiction Chastity had, and for the first time since she was fifteen, felt safe, secure, needed.

Falling in love with her benefactor wasn't in the plan. She denied her feelings as long as she could. He'd already shown his affection for her. He was the first to tell her she was beautiful, special, and that he was falling in love with her. When they made love, he was gentle, loving... all foreign concepts to Kathryn.

Then, the morning she had one of her regular doctor's visits, she was told she was pregnant. Kathryn was scared. She didn't want to lose the stability she had finally found. She came home and Christian was there, working with a group of people. He saw the look on her face and dismissed the people who he had been meeting with.

"Kathryn, what's wrong?" Christian asked, concerned.

"Christian," she began, then tearfully continued, "I'm pregnant."

"That's wonderful news, Kathryn!" he said; "Why are you so upset? We talked about having a baby."

"I'm not ready for this," she said. "I'll fail, just like last time."

"No, Kathryn, you won't," Christian said; "You'll be a wonderful mother. This is great news, Kathryn. Everything will be all right, beautiful, I promise."

It was a difficult pregnancy, but when Helene arrived the following spring, she was beautiful and perfect. Kathryn was enthralled by how gentle Christian was with her.

"Thank you," Christian said, near tears; "She's perfect. She's beautiful, just like her mama."




That night, Kathryn cried herself to sleep. She missed her girls. She missed Christian. All she wanted was to go home.



===
III



"He wants to what?!" Matt said, surprised that Peter wanted to take their father's place in the plans he and Sandrina had come up with.

"He feels he's ready for the challenge, Matt," Nik said; "He's on the hunt. Like your Aunt Julia."

"Oh, shit," Sandrina said; "We all know what happens when Aunt Julia does that. People get theirs."

"Say that we do let Pete take your place, Dad," Matt said; "He knows the risks. He has even more risks because, if I understand Mom, he's just gotten back into modified training within the last couple of weeks. I don't want him to take any unnecessary risks."

"I don't know if you'll be able to tell him no," Nik said; "He's already mentally preparing for a confrontation."

Matt looked at his sister, then said, "It's your call, Sandy. Is Pete in or out?"

Sandrina looked at Matt, then at their father. She said, "Pete's in. But I want Dad as his backup."

"Works for me," Matt said. "Let's tell him what the plan is, and may God watch over all of us, because if this fails, we'll all be meeting Him sooner than we planned."


===


Peter was told of the plan, and that Nik would be his backup. Peter didn't like the idea of his father backing him up, but if that was what Matt and Sandy wanted, then he'd do his best to comply. But the Drill Sergeant had other ideas.

"It will be you, Peter, who takes Pollard out," the Drill Sergeant said; "Don't let your sister do it. Don't let your brother do it. Don't let your father do it. Pollard tried to kill you, and it is up to you to mete out the appropriate punishment."

Peter said nothing in response. He just nodded in response to the gruff voice in his head.

It was getting late, and if Pollard was going to move, it would be under the cover of darkness.

Both the San Marco and Donovan families watched as Matt, Sandrina, Peter and Nik readied themselves for battle. Nik recruited Jeremiah, Danny, Adam, Alex, and Adriana as sharpshooters who would make sure that Pollard never reached the house.

"Why can't I help?" Aaliyah asked.

Jeremiah looked at his youngest daughter and said gruffly, "You're eight years old, Aaliyah Antonia. You'll stay in the house with everyone else. That's an order, young lady!"

Aaliyah wasn't too happy about that. "Don't even think of disobeying your father, girl," Jasmine said to her.

"But, Mama," protested Aaliyah.

"Don't 'but Mama' me, little girl," Jasmine said; "I'm not going to allow you to put yourself in harm's way. The others are more experienced. You've been training for four months. There will be other opportunities."

Aaliyah said nothing in response. She knew both her parents meant business. There was no use in appealing to Uncle Nik or Aunt KateLynn, because they'd tell the same thing.

Sandrina was discussing her plan with her brothers, father, uncle, cousins, and Alex. She had expected Alex to put up a fuss, but he didn't. All he said was, "I have complete faith in you and your abilities, Sandy."

"Thank, Alex," she replied. "Not a great welcome to the family thing, I know, but it is what it is."

Alex nodded and took up his position inside the house.

After getting last minute instructions, Sandrina opened up the back door and walked into the woods. She stopped for a moment to get an idea where in the dense forestation her nemesis was hiding. It wasn't hard. Pollard wasn't very good at camoflauge.

"Okay Pollard!" Sandrina yelled out; "I know you're out here, and I know your plans for me. Are you brave enough to show your ugly face, motherfucker? If so, make yourself known!"

===


"Where's Kathryn, Grandfather?" asked Kelly the next morning. "I thought I heard her crying last night."

Eric looked at Kelly. "You realize that this is all new to her, Kelly Clare. She's probably scared that Chastity will emerge while she's here. She doesn't know you very well, and I'm getting to know her all over again. And she never got to mourn your grandmother's passing, so she's probably overwhelmed with emotions. Go knock on her door and see if she wants breakfast."

Kelly went down the hall and knocked on Kathryn's bedroom door; "Kathryn, Grandfather has breakfast ready if you're interested."

"I'll be there in a moment, Kelly," Kathryn said through the closed door.

"Okay," Kelly said and went back into the kitchen.

She saw that Eric was on the phone speaking with someone, so she left the room to give him some privacy.


Kathryn needed to tell her father about her family; her three young daughters and their father. About how much she missed them.

It wasn't that Kathryn didn't want to get to know her father again, and her oldest daughter for the first time, because she did. She wanted to have her whole life make sense, but her pull toward the family she and Christian created together was very strong, and she wanted to get to them before they forgot her, while she was present in her own life.



"I thought you were going to try and go to your hometown for Christmas, Krysta?" asked Eric. "Please don't tell me you're sitting in that little apartment of yours alone."

"I couldn't do it, Eric," Krysta said; "I got as far as the town square. I got out of the car and saw all these people staring at me like they'd seen a ghost. So I drove back."

"You drove three hours only to come right back?" asked Eric.

"You don't understand, Eric," Krysta said; "They're all intolerant of people not like them. White, Protestant, straight. I couldn't pretend I'm someone I'm not."

"You're at home then?"

"Yes, Eric. I'm at home."

"I'm coming out there to get you. You're not going to spend Christmas alone," Eric said; "I have plenty of room here as you know. Kelly and Kathryn are both here."

"Kathryn's with you, Eric?" asked Krysta; "Cameron doesn't tell me anything anymore. It's like she found Kathryn's family and I was forgotten."

"I'll be at your place in an hour or less, Krysta," Eric said. "You need to be with people who care about you. You know that I do, and Kathryn does. She'll be thrilled to see you! She mentioned to me that you haven't been to visit lately."

"I was asked not to," Krysta said; "Cameron said that Kathryn needed to re-bond with you and Kelly."

"That's bullshit, Krysta," Eric said; "We'll get this all straightened out. I'll be there within the hour. Pack for a week's stay, because I'm not letting you leave."

"Eric, I..." Krysta stammered.

"We'll talk when I get there, my angel," Eric said; "Please wait for me."

"I will Eric."

Eric ended the call. His angel, the one who saved him from his grief, would not spend the holiday alone. She would be with those who cared about her.

===
IV


Helene was very pleased with the flowers her family gave her after her performance. There was one more matinee on Christmas Eve, then she would be done.

"They're so beautiful, you guys!" she exclaimed as her father and sisters met her backstage with their bouquets. DeWitt got a lot of compliments on Helene's performance, to which he said, "Don't tell me, tell Helene! She did all the work."

Soon, they were headed home in the car, where Lili promptly fell asleep. Once at home, DeWitt carried Lili into the house and laid her on the couch. He told the older girls to get out of their good clothes and dress comfortably, then help their little sister with her dress.

DeWitt went into the kitchen to get the light snacks that had been prepared earlier in the day by the kitchen staff before DeWitt gave them the week off.

He thought of Kathryn, wondered where she was, and if she thought about him and their girls. I wish you'd come home for Christmas, Kathryn, he thought; think of how happy the girls would be to see you, if only for a little while.

He had no idea she was thinking just that, and that she was closer to him that he realized.

===



"Who was on the phone, Grandfather?" Kelly asked.

"Krysta, the woman I told you about over Thankgiving," Eric said; "She thinks she's spending Christmas alone."

"Did you tell her she's going to come here?" asked Kelly; "I don't like hearing about people being alone on holidays. It's so sad. That's why I volunteered at the soup kitchen when I couldn't come home for Thanksgiving."

"You've always had a generous heart, Kelly," Eric said; "You're a lot like your grandmother that way. And yes, I'm going to get Krysta. She knows Kathryn, so at least she won't feel so alone."

"We have plenty of food, Grandfather," Kelly said; "What about a gift?"

"I'll take care of that, Kelly," Eric said.

Kathryn came down the hall and into the living room when she heard voices.

"Ah, there you are, Kathryn," Eric said; "I'm going into town to get a friend of yours, who is also becoming a close friend of mine. Krysta Banks; I know you two are friends."

"I know you met her," Kathryn said; "I haven't seen her in a while. She stopped coming to see me. I guess I made her mad."

"No, Kathryn, you didn't," said Eric; "Cameron asked her to limit her visits so that you and I could get reacquainted. I'm surprised that Cameron didn't tell you."

Kathryn looked at the floor. "She probably did, and I just don't remember," she said. Then she continued, "I have something to talk to you about when you return. It's really important to me to tell you this in private."

Eric wondered what Kathryn could have to tell him that she couldn't say in front of Kelly, but didn't push the issue. "Okay, Kathryn, we'll talk later. Let me go get Krysta, and we'll figure the rest out when she gets here."

Kathryn and Kelly nodded and Eric took his leave.

"What's Krysta like, Kathryn?" asked Kelly. "Grandfather seems to be kind of sweet on her."

"She's a nice girl, Kelly," Kathryn said; "I met her originally when Chastity was present, but when I had my periods of being me, I somehow remembered her. She was very troubled at the time. Then again, so was I. Maybe that's why we became friends when I re-emerged this time."

"She and Grandfather slept together, didn't they?" asked Kelly.

"I really don't know," Kathryn said; "Krysta doesn't like to talk about... her past. She tends to keep things private, I've noticed. I notice way too much sometimes, because I'm trying to remember anything about what being me is like."

"I think I understand," Kelly said; "I guess we'll know more when they return."

===


DeWitt sat in his office after the girls had gone to bed. He stared out the window and remembered the first time he told Kathryn he loved her.

"I've discovered something, Kathryn," Christian said.

"What's that?" she asked.

"I thought I was helping you get away from that life, that person you were the night we met, but I've discovered that you've done something for me that you don't even realize," he said.

"I can't think of anything I've done," Kathryn said; "Sometimes I feel like a burden to you."

Christian looked at her, thinking, please don't think that, beautiful girl;

"You're not a burden to me," he said aloud; "If anything, you've saved me."

She looked at him and asked, "How?"

"You are a reminder that even wicked men deserve a second chance," Christian said; "I am not perfect. I have ideas that others consider evil. Yet, God or whomever, has somehow blessed me with you."

"I don't understand, Christian," said Kathryn, confused; "How is that me saving you?"

Christian took her into his arms and held her; "Don't you understand, Kathryn?" he asked; "I've been single for years now. My sons fear me; their mother hates me. Yet, you, precious Kathryn, have seen me at my best and at my worst, and you're still here. You have wisdom beyond your eighteen years. And for that, I love you."

"You...you...love me, Christian?" she asked. He could see she was trembling. She's never had a lover tell her his feelings for her, he thought; she's been used and abused by men. Yet, she still gives me her love.

"Yes, Kathryn, I love you. I need you. I can't see my life without you," Christian said; "Whatever it is about me you see, I'll spend the rest of my life working to earn your love."

All Kathryn could do is cry.




Please, DeWitt thought as tears streamed down his face, if there is a God, a higher power, please bring Kathryn home to me and our girls. I'll give anything to have her home with us where she belongs.

I'll even turn my back on A.R.M., he thought as he turned off the light in his office.

===


Niki went upstairs at her parents house to talk to Kimber, and she was a bit nervous.

Niki had gotten bad news right before Kimber and Jamey arrived, and besides her brother John, Kimber was the only other person who could help.

She knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" Kimber called out.

"It's me, Kimber," Niki said. "Can I come in?"

"Sure, sis, door's unlocked," Kimber said; "Jamey's with Dad."

"Oh, I'll bet they're having fun," Niki said with a chuckle.

Once in her sister's room, Kimber said, "Telling embarrassing stories about when we were kids, no doubt. Probably the 'playing with babies is hard work' story that Dad always tells."

"I remember that story, but not the actual incident the story comes from," Niki said.

"We were like two or three at the time, after all," Kimber said. "So, what brings you in here, Niki? I'm sure it's not to reminince about being little girls."

Niki sat on the edge of Kimber's bed. "I got bad news about three days ago, Kimber," she said; "The chemo's not working as well as everyone hoped. I'm going to need that bone marrow transplant after all."

Kimber looked at her twin. She always knew when Niki had bad news. Kimber had figured it out weeks ago just based on the weekly talks the sisters had. Niki had mentioned that the chemo didn't seem to be working as well during her most recent cycle, because she wasn't feeling the same as she did before.

Taking her sister's hand, Kimber said, "I know Niki. I kind of figured it out based on what you were telling me during our talks. Just tell me when and where, and I'll be there. I've already let the Times-Tribune and the registrar at school know there might be a possibility of this."

"You're more proactive than I am," Niki said; "It came as a complete surprise to me."

"You're too close to it, Niki," Kimber said; "Sometimes we don't see things others do. I think because I'm in Chicago, I can tell if something's not right when you can't. I'm sure if the roles were changed, the same would be true for you."

"Yeah, maybe," Niki said; "Sometimes I just feel so stupid."

"Now stop that, Niki," Kimber said; "We both know you're not. We're going to get through this-- you, me and Johnny are going to kick some cancer ass, got that?"

Niki smiled. Kimber always knew how to cheer her up.

===




You'll live to regret this, Sandy my dear, Pollard thought as he contemplated emerging from the woods. He noticed that she didn't appear to be armed, and that she was out there alone. This will be too easy, he thought. Take her out and the rest of her family is mine!

"Pollard!" Sandrina yelled; "Don't be a pussy! It's me you want, so here I am, motherfucker!"

Pollard emerged from his hiding place. He had a semi-automatic pistol in his hand.

"Drop your weapons, Pollard," Sandrina said; "I'm not armed. Let's make this a fair fight."

Pollard threw the pistol into the woods, not knowing that Peter was hiding nearby. When Pollard was distracted by Sandrina, Peter grabbed the pistol.

Yes, Peter thought; you will die by my hand tonight, and the revenge will be sweet.

Matt was hiding in the shadow of the house, waiting for Sandrina to send the signal that she needed his assistance. Nik was in another part of the woods, behind Pollard, ready to rush him if possible.

"Okay, Sandy," Pollard said; "I'm unarmed. Will you submit to me now?"

Not on your life, asswipe, Sandrina thought; aloud she said, "Yes, Pollard. I'll submit."

Her hand was behind her back. She sent Matt the signal that their father designated for their family when they were young. She sent an additional signal as well: stay hidden unless threatened.

Matt made eye contact with Peter, then with their father. Pollard then moved on Sandrina. He was still armed, but what he didn't know is that she was as well. He pulled out a second pistol and aimed it at Sandrina.

"Good," he said cruelly; "Because you're going to die, Sandrina."

"You really think you scare me, Pollard?" Sandrina asked.

"You're scared, because you're trying to protect your family. You think you're so badass, my dear," Pollard said, reaching out to grab Sandrina's arm. Instead, he got a pistol shoved in his face.

"You don't scare me, Pollard," Sandrina said as she cocked the gun, "I'm willing to bet that I'll win this confrontation with you, just like I did the other two. One of us is going to die."

"Say your prayers, Miss San Marco," Pollard said as he cocked his own gun.

Next thing Pollard realized he was laying on the ground. He'd been kicked in the chest. As he was gasping for breath, he saw the face of Matt San Marco looking down at him.

"Who the fuck are you?" Pollard demanded between gasps.

"Who I am doesn't matter," Matt said; "What does matter is that you either leave here alive with the cops, or in a body bag. You choose."

"Matt, he's not too bright," Sandrina told her brother; "He fancies himself a martyr for the Movement."

"Fuckin' right I do!" exclaimed Pollard; "And they'll worship my bravery in taking down an enemy to our cause. I don't intend to die here."

Unknown to Matt, Sandrina, and Pollard, Peter was sneaking up from behind. He heard the Drill Sergeant in his head, "It's your job to take the enemy out, Peter. You won't fail."

It was not according to the plans his siblings drew up. Peter's only goal was to kill Pollard as payback for trying to kill him nearly a year earlier.

As he drew closer, he heard Pollard say,

"If your younger brother had just fuckin' died when he was supposed to, none of this would have had to happen. But, no, he had to survive! At least I know he's too weak to be out here to defend his sister. Poor Peter..."

"Poor Peter my ass!" Peter said as he pushed his sister aside. He aimed Pollard's own gun right at his forehead and fired.

Peter saw Pollard's body go limp. Then, the fifteen year old turned and walked back towards the house without a word to his older siblings.

Pollard's last thought was, who the fuck is this kid?


===

1 comment:

  1. Totally WICKED!!! Pollard got his, buddy! That's what you get for messing with the San Marco Clan!

    ReplyDelete