February 22, 2035--
The weeks went by and soon it was time for the Summers children to return to Chicago. To say they were excited was an understatement. It's all Jaime and Rachel could talk about, and it really started to get on their sister's nerves.
"Would you two please just shut up about it," Miri said testily; "I know you're excited about going home and staying with Aunt Kimber for a while. I am, too, but I'm not talking my fool head off over it, am I?"
"But Miri," Rachel said, "it means life will get back to normal."
"Our lives have never been, and will never be, quote-unquote, normal," Zach said. "If you haven't gotten that by now, Rachel, then I don't know what to tell you."
"That's enough, Zach," Miri said; "We have a lot to do before Sunday."
"I'm going to miss the horses, Miri," Jaime said; "They'll get lonely. I've been with Coltrane every day since he was born."
"They're leaving a week after we are, Jaime," said Miri; "And they're going to Belvidere. You're not going to be with them as much as you have been here. They'll be taken care of, Mom made sure of that. There will be a caretaker who will make sure that Coltrane and Mama get everything they need."
"Wyoming Rose," Jaime said; "That's Mama's new name. Please call her that. I made sure that Mom and Jack put that down in the paperwork for their travel."
"It's a nice name, James," Miri said; "A lot better than just plain old 'Mama'."
"You're not going to change Coltrane's name too are you, Jaime?" asked Rachel.
"No, I'm not. He'll be Coltrane forever," said Jamie.
In the kitchen where she was preparing lunch, Julia was telling Jack, "It was a great idea to send Tripod with the kids. I just don't know how the cat is going to like that. She's probably already pissed off at us for leaving her behind."
"It seemed kind of stupid to send him with the farm animals," Jack said, pausing to cough. "He'll have more fun with the kids than with cattle and horses and chickens."
"The transport arrives at, and I quote from Nik's message, 'at 0800 hours Sunday 25 February 2035.' I've told the kids they can pack ONE bag for the trip. I'll make up a bag for Tripod with food, toys, and a leash," Julia said.
"He knows something's going on, he just hasn't figured out what, yet," Jack said; "He's not going to like the transport cage though. But it will keep him from jumping around as he's wont to do when he's excited."
"Maybe being with the kids will calm him down some," Jack said.
"We can only hope," said Julia.
Everything at Kimber and Jamey's house was ready for the arrival of Kimber's nieces and nephew. Jamey only had one pressing question for Kimber.
"One of your nieces is named Jaime; how are we going to work that so I know when you mean me, and when you mean her?"
"Sometimes, we call her James, since her given name is 'Jameson'," Kimber said; "Her paternal great grandmother was named that."
"Was she called 'Jaime', too?"
"I seriously doubt that," said Kimber. "I'm sure people found it odd that she had a male name, though."
"And they're bringing the dog after all?" asked Jamey.
"Yeah," Kimber said; "Nik's email said they're bringing Tripod with them. I haven't had a dog since I was about nine. My dad really loves Akitas, so he got us a puppy as a Hanukkah gift one year. Her name was Angel, and she was snow white. She was a beautiful dog. She got really sick when Niki and I were 15, and we had to have her put down. I don't know who was more upset, us kids or Dad. He and Mom haven't had one since then."
"Just that one cat," Jamey said.
"Yeah, Mom's cat, actually," said Kimber. "Serena's a pretty old cat now. Mom got her when we first moved to Austin from here after the Occupation was over. Niki and I were five, and Sam and John were three and a half."
"I hope Marm doesn't freak out about the dog being here," said Jamey.
"Marm will probably ignore him for a while, then who knows," Kimber said; "She may fool us all. It wouldn't be the first time."
"When are they supposed to be here?"
"They're leaving where they are on Sunday, and should be here no later than Wednesday next week," Kimber said. "The first thing Rachel will do is want to call Aaliyah to come over and play. Those two will be joined at the hip again in no time!"
February 25th
Niki was so excited about her upcoming "secret" wedding that she could hardly stand it. She so badly wanted to tell her mother, but Niki also knew that her mother would tell her father, and he'd come over and try to talk Niki and Drake out of it.
So she resisted the urge to tell Jordan. The Sunday before, Jordan wanted to take Niki out for lunch, and Niki's willpower was put to its ultimate test. Jordan talked about the boys going to college, her struggles in getting her husband to cut down on the secret snacks from the bakery, and that David was talking about getting another Akita to replace the one that the family had to have put to sleep years earlier.
"Is Dad going to go through the same breeder?" asked Niki.
"I think she's out of business," Jordan said; "She recommended someone to your dad though, so we'll see if he's serious about it."
"What is it about Akitas that Dad loves so much?" asked Niki.
"They're loyal, gentle, and good companions," Jordan said; "Nice strong dogs."
"Maybe if Dad gets another dog, he'll start running again," Niki said; "He's getting a paunch."
"I think that is more his trips to North Austin to go to the Jewish bakery than anything else," Jordan said, laughing. "And he's not getting any younger, you know. He'll be 62 on his next birthday. I'll be 59 in July."
"You really weren't all that young when we came along, were you?" Niki asked.
"No, I wasn't," Jordan said; "And I wasn't sure I wanted to have any other children after my experiences with Julia and not getting to raise her. Your dad had to talk me into it, and I thank God every day that he did."
"I know we didn't understand that you had to rely on medical science to bring me and Kimber, and the boys, into the world," Niki said; "I wanted to experience that, but fate had other plans for me."
Jordan took Niki's hand from across the table. "Niki, I know losing your baby has been hard on you. Lots of women have babies after having cancer. You just have to talk to your oncologist to see if that's the right move for you. I know you can do it, sweetheart."
"Thanks, Mom," Niki said, remembering that awful day in San Antonio, then brushed it from her mind. "Drake and I do want to have children, and I want to carry them. But that will have to wait until my doctors say it's okay and it's safe."
"That's good," Jordan said; "That's a healthy attitude to take. And waiting until you and Drake are married might be a good step, too."
Niki smiled a knowing smile, but said nothing. "Maybe Kimber can have a baby first, then I'll decide," she said.
"Kimber should wait, too," Jordan said, "but you didn't hear that from me!"
"Right, Mom," Niki said laughing as their lunches arrived at the table.
"Jesus! What the hell time is it?" Zach asked as he staggered into the living room in his pajamas.
"Two hours before the transport is supposed to be here," Julia said.
"How come you're so chipper, Mom?" the boy asked. "Don't you sleep, ever?"
"I do, but unlike you, I went to bed early last night."
"Where is everyone else?"
"Jack is dressing, and your sisters have been up for about half an hour," Julia said; "They're out in the barn saying goodbye to the animals. Jaime's not liking the idea of being separated from Coltrane and Rosie very much."
"She's too attached to those stupid horses," Zach said. "At least Tripod gets to come with us. Girls get all weepy and shit over stupid things like animals."
"Zachary, please watch the language," Julia said; "I know I allow you to swear some, but some of the coarser language has to reigned in. Aunt Kimber will call you on it."
"So I can't call her boyfriend a fucking douchebag if I think he's a fucking douchebag?" asked Zach.
"Absolutely not!" Julia said; "One, it's not nice; and two, even if Aunt Kimber's boyfriend is a jerk, you can't call him one."
The girls came in from the barn after saying their goodbyes to the animals. Rachel and Jaime had been crying, and Miri was telling them to get over it.
"Aren't you going to miss the animals, Miri?" asked Rachel.
"I am, Rach, but I'm not about to cry over leaving a cow behind," Miri said.
"You have no heart, Miri," Jaime said.
"I do have a heart, James," Miri informed her younger sister; "But all that blubbering isn't going to accomplish a damn thing. For your info, I am going to miss them, but I don't have to cry about it."
Julia just shook her heard as she went to the kitchen to prepare breakfast. Because Lord only knew when they'd get to stop and eat.
"Waffles okay with everyone?" she asked.
Various choruses of "Yeah" issued forth from the mouths of her children.
"Turkey bacon? Hash browns? Toast?"
More rounds of "yeah".
"Actually that sounds like it will hit the spot," Jack said as he came into the room. "I'll help you rustle up some grub, little lady," he said to Julia, which made Rachel giggle.
"What's so funny?" asked Jack.
"You called Mom a little lady," Rachel said, still giggling.
"What's wrong with that?" Jack asked.
"Rachel, that's because I am a little lady," Julia said; "You're a little girl. There's a difference."
"And you're going to be just as little a lady as Mom is," Jaime said.
"So are you," Rachel shot back. "Miri's the only one of us girls who will be tall."
Soon Julia had breakfast ready and served her children. "Eat up, because I can't tell you when you're likely to see lunch."
"Can we take snacks?" asked Miri. "Maybe some of those granola bars, or some cheese cubes?"
"Carrot sticks!" Rachel said.
"Apples?" asked Zach.
Julia put up her hand. The kids all had good ideas for snacks. "I'll put bags of snacks together for you guys," she said; "But you have to ration them between the four of you. I'll send some water and juice, too."
"Cool..." said Zach.
The kids then went to get their bags. They would be ready to leave as soon as the transport arrived.
Kimber couldn't believe what she was seeing. This can't be right, she thought to herself.
Her cycles, like both her sisters, had always been irregular. In order to donate her bone marrow to Niki, Kimber had to stop taking birth control medication for six weeks prior. She'd had a pregnancy test before she'd be allowed to donate, and at that time she wasn't pregnant.
She wanted to wait until she felt better to start up her birth control regimine again.
But when she returned from Austin, she and Jamey had made love that night.
The home pregnancy test she bought several days before showed that Kimber Draiman was pregnant. She knew that Jamey would be thrilled to learn he was going to be a father; Kimber, however, was a little more concerned. She worried that a lot of her post college graduation plans could be put on hold because of a pregnancy.
Ending the pregnancy was not an option.
Kimber knew that a lot of home pregnancy tests showed false positives, and that in order to confirm or deny the results took a visit to the doctor. She was scheduled to have an exam with her gynecologist the day after the kids were due to arrive, she'd just have to ask for a pregnancy test as well.
She'd be the first one to provide her father with his first biological grandchild, if Kimber was indeed pregnant.
I'll wait and tell Jamey when I'm sure, Kimber thought; No use in getting his hopes up if this is a false positive.
She had mixed feelings about the whole thing, though. She wasn't even twenty years old yet.
It was 8am. As if on cue, several transport vehicles drove onto the Christofferson property. Looking out the window, Julia could see the dust they kicked up as they drove down the dirt road.
They're really leaving! Julia thought. My babies are leaving here without me!
Julia wasn't expecting to feel this emotional. She knew that they would be in good hands on the trip, and once they arrived in Chicago, Kimber and her boyfriend, Jamey, would take care of them in the two to three weeks before Julia and Jack would arrive. Jack was scheduled to meet with Dr. Traben the morning after they arrived in North Chicago. Then, Julia would travel on to Chicago alone.
"Kids! The transport is here!" she called out to her children.
Before her suddenly were her four children. Besides their father and Jack, she loved them more than life itself.
"Are you ready to leave when the Transport Leader knocks on the door?" asked their mother.
"Yes, ma'am," Miri said, speaking for her siblings. "I think we got all the crying and stuff out of the way."
Miri then saw her mother tear up. God, this is hard on her, too, Miri thought.
"It's okay, Mom," Miri said, giving her mother a hug, "Sometimes we forget that you're feeling a lot of the same things we feel."
Soon, all four of them gave their mother a hug.
Just then, the Transport Leader knocked on the door, and Jack went to answer it. Meanwhile, the three younger kids gathered up their bags and headed to the door. Miri would be the last to leave the house.
"Mom," she whispered, "take care of Jack. Please?"
"Mirielle, you know I will," Julia said. "Have I told you how grown up you're becoming? You're the young woman every mother dreams of having. I know that what I do makes life for you and your sisters and brother hard, but you have always had the grace to accept things as they come. That flexibility and adaptability will be your greatest strength. Never forget that."
"I won't, Mom," Miri said; "I love you, Mom."
"Love you more, Mirielle," replied Julia.
Turning to Jack, Miri said, "Jack...don't you dare die on us, or I'll have to kill you." She winked, and Jack returned her wink. It was a private joke between them.
Getting serious, Jack said, "You're a beautiful young woman, Mirielle, and I'm proud that I'm your father. We'll see you soon."
Giving them both a hug, Miri reached down and grabbed her bag, ready to join her siblings in the transport vehicle. As she walked out the door, she saw a familiar face; one that she'd hoped to see again.
And he seemed pleased to see her as well.
"John!" Miri cried softly.
"Off on another great adventure, Mirielle," John Crossley said; "I'm in charge, but I hope we get a chance to talk some, too."
"I hope so, too," Miri said.
She looked back and saw her mother and Jack standing on the porch. She gave a little wave and went off to the transport vehicle with Jaime, Zach and Rachel. Tripod was in his pen in the back of another vehicle.
As the vehicles drove off, Jack said to Julia, "We have a fine bunch of kids, Julia. Any parents would be proud of them."
Julia just nodded, her mind was filled with all kinds of thoughts.
II
Later in the day on February 25th
"I'm bored," Rachel said to no one in particular.
No one in particular replied.
Her siblings were either sleeping (Zach and Jaime) or talking with the Transport Leader (Miri). Rachel recognized him from when they came to Wyoming the previous summer. This was the guy that Miri liked and was writing to.
They had just had lunch, such as it was. Rachel wasn't even full. One little sandwich and a bottle of milk would not quell Rachel's hunger. Her mother usually prepared lunches at home that helped with staying alert and focused during their studies.
"Miri, can I have some of those cheese cubes, please?" she asked her sister.
"Sure, Rach, let me get them out of the insulated bag Mom put them in," Miri said as she reached inside to get out what Rachel asked for. As she handed the bag to her sister, she said, "Lunch didn't fill you up either, huh?"
"No," said Rachel; "No offense, Sgt. John, but that wasn't lunch. That was a snack. We'll all be hungry again in a little while."
"Not a problem Rachel," John Crossley told her; "We'll get some real food here in a bit. We're headed to an Army base just over the Wyoming border in to Colorado. We're spending the night there, and we'll eat in the mess."
"It's funny that the place you eat in is called a 'mess'," Rachel said; "My mom would tell us to clean up the mess, and she doesn't mean the kitchen."
Crossley laughed. "You call'em as you see 'em, don't you, Rachel?" he asked.
"That she does," Miri said; "Still, real food will be nice after those measley sandwiches."
Rachel wasn't listening. She was eating cheese cubes and staring out the tinted windows.
She was still bored.
They arrived at the Army base shortly before 4pm that afternoon. The idea of spending the night here made Zach a little nervous.
"Where are we sleeping?" he asked Sgt. Crossley.
"I'll be in the barracks," John said; "You guys will be in the Lodge. It's like an on-base hotel. You won't have to rough it like the guys in the barracks".
He saw Zach sigh and smiled to himself. He wondered what in the heck was going through the ten year old's mind.
"You'll be in three rooms," he said; "Mirielle and Zach will have a room to themselves, and Jaime and Rachel will share."
"Wow," Jaime said, unimpressed; "Just like home. Why can't Miri and Rachel share and I get a room to myself?"
"Because you're twelve," Miri said; "And I don't think you and Rachel should have a room to yourselves. I think the four of us should be able to be in the same room."
"Eww, no," said Zach; "I don't want to share a room with any of you!"
"It won't kill you, Zach, sheesh!" Jaime said.
"Actually that's a good idea," John said; "That way you can keep an eye out for each other. I'll see if it can still be set up that way." He then left to make is inquiries.
Zach looked at his oldest sister, saying, "Thanks, Miri. Thanks for giving me my own personal ring in Dante's Inferno."
"Look I really don't give a shit if you're upset, Zachary," Miri said; "We have to be able to count on each other, and not let stupid crap like whether you want to share a room with us get in the way. We're only staying overnight!"
"Where's Tripod going to stay?" asked Rachel as she spied the Golden Retriever in his cage in the back of one of the transport vehicles. He didn't look happy.
"Can he stay in our room with us?" asked Jaime. "That would be cool!"
"We'll have to ask Sgt. Crossley," Miri said; "It would be good if he can stay in our room, then one of us could walk him and assure him he won't be in that pen forever."
John had returned and said, "All four of you can stay in the same room."
"Can Tripod stay with us?" Rachel asked him.
"I don't see why not," John said; "He likes it when you guys give him attention. How did he lose his leg?"
"I think he was attacked by coyotes as a puppy," Miri said; "Jack would know more."
"Jack?"
"Mr. Christofferson," said Miri. "He's Tripod's owner, so he would know."
John just nodded. He then said, "Rachel, would you and Jaime like to help me get Tripod out of his pen?"
"Yeah!" Jaime said. Then she and Rachel followed John to the transport vehicle to retrieve the Retriever.
Once released from the pen, Tripod jumped and barked happily upon seeing Jaime and Rachel.
"You get to spend the night in the room with us, boy," Jaime said. Tripod just wagged his tail furiously to signal his pleasure.
Rachel attached the leash to the dog's collar, and Tripod pulled her toward where Miri, Zach and John stood.
Upon seeing John, Tripod growled.
"He likes everybody," Miri said; "I don't understand why he's growling at you."
"I'd probably growl at me, too, if I were put in a cage away from the people I adore," John said.
Rachel whispered to Jaime, "Tripod doesn't like Sgt. John."
"I got that impression, sis," Jaime whispered back.
Soon, everyone was settled into the room, and John handed Miri a piece of paper.
"This has the barrack's number on it in case you need to reach me. On the back are menus for the places that will deliver on base. Just give whoever answers the phone this code and your food is paid for," John told her. "I know the sandwiches we had earlier didn't fill you up."
"Thanks," Miri said; "We'll look over it and decide what to get. We'll need that bag that has Tripod's food in it. He has to eat too, and food scraps will only make him fat."
"I'll bring it over in a little bit, after I get my men settled in the barracks," John said. He then took his leave.
"Let's get settled, then decide on dinner," Miri said.
"I'm so hungry," Zach said, "I could eat a horse!"
That remark got Zach the evil eye from his sister Jaime.
"Not funny, Zach," Miri said as she sat on the bed, looking at the menus John had provided.
She was hungry, too. At least they didn't have to eat in the mess hall.
III
February 26th
Julia's mind was filled with so many memories and thoughts as she laid awake early the morning after the children left to return to Chicago.
She couldn't turn her mind off, something that rarely happened to her. Usually, she slept like a rock.
"Why are you still awake, Julia?" asked Jack.
"I miss the kids, Jack," Julia said; "I know they're in good hands and I know they're safe, but I worry about them out there without me."
"You need to rest, Julia," Jack said, then turning his head to cough.
"So do you," she replied; "Maybe more than I do."
"I can't sleep knowing you're worried, honey."
"You just let me worry," Julia said; "I am their mother, after all."
"And I'm Miri's father, in case you forgot," Jack said.
Julia didn't know how to take that, another thing that rarely happened to her: not having a sarcastic comeback.
Jack sensed he hurt Julia's feelings and apologized. He then took her into his arms like he used to and held her. "I know you're worried, Julia, but as you said, they're in good hands and they're safe."
Julia then said, "You haven't held me like this in a long time, Jack."
"I know, and I feel awful that I've neglected you," said Jack. "I just wish I had the strength and the breath to make love to you, because that's that I really want. I want to show you physically how much I love you."
"Jack, if you can't, then don't push yourself to try just to make me happy," Julia said; "I understand that you can't. But I can love on you. I just get the feeling you don't want me to. Every time I try, you back off."
"I don't mean to," Jack said; "Please, Julia... please love me..."
"You know I do, baby," she said; "More than anything in this world other than the children. I just want you to be happy..."
She began to love on him, just like in the early days of their relationship, when she won his respect by not being afraid of him because of his reputation. She was gentle, loving, and excited him beyond measure.
"God, Julia...! I love you so my angel..." he cried out softly as she pleasured him.
The thoughts that came through his head when she loved him like this came unbidden. She's a whore. Nothing but a whore. She is here for your pleasure only. Then you send her back to General until the next time you need pussy...
No! She's so much more to me than that! I love her, I need her...
You're weak, Coltrane! No woman can ever get in the way of your duties...
As he climaxed, his mind cried out to the man he used to be before Julia graced his life... I love her!
"Oh God...Julia..." he gasped for breath.
Julia looked up and saw the now familiar sight of Jack struggling for every breath. It scared her. Please, God, she thought, if you're going to take him from me now, then take him already! Please don't make him suffer anymore!
"Jack, it's okay," she said reassuringly; "Just relax. Do you need the atomizer?"
He shook his head yes.
Julia got the small device from the bathroom and helped Jack as he breathed the medication into his lungs.
"I'm sorry, Julia," he said; "I can't... I can't take that much excitement anymore. It's not fair to either of us. Making love is supposed to be a beautiful, pleasurable experience. Not like this..."
"I'm sorry I pushed you too far," she replied.
"Never..." he said, taking her into his arms again. "Nothing you can do could be considered too much."
Soon, he was asleep, and Julia had new worries.
The children, they would be fine and arrive at Kimber's okay.
Jack was another story.
Julia was scared that he would die before they could leave Wyoming. Just hold on a while longer, Jack, she said to him in her thoughts; We'll get this all figured out.
February 28th
It was early in the morning when there was a knock at Kimber's front door.
Good Lord, she thought, it can't be the kids already!
She went to the door, and seeing the Army sergeant through the peep hole, opened the door.
"Kimber Draiman?" he asked politely.
"Yes, I'm she," said Kimber.
"Ma'am, I'm Staff Sergeant John Crossley, and I have brought the Summers children to you as instructed by Major San Marco."
Kimber looked at the young man. He's not much older than I am, she thought.
"Sergeant, please come in," said Kimber; "Please forgive my appearance, but I've just awakened."
"I'll instruct my men to bring them inside with their dog," Sgt. Crossley said.
Kimber nodded and turned away from the door to see Jamey walk into the room. "Your nieces and nephew are here? Why so early?"
Kimber only shrugged. When she turned back around, she saw Julia's four sleepy kids and a three legged dog walking toward her. Rachel as the first to see her, and went running.
"Auntie Kimber!" the petite eight year old said excitedly.
"Rachel!" Kimber said, smiling; "You've gotten so big!"
Behind Rachel was Miri, walking the dog on his leash. "Hi, Aunt Kimber," she said sleepily. "We're here."
"I see that Miri," Kimber said, laughing; "I'm assuming this is Tripod."
The dog wagged his tail spiritedly upon hearing his name and seeing a friendly and somewhat familiar face.
The other kids dragged themselves in and immediately plopped themselves down on the sofa, where Jaime promptly went back to sleep. Zach wasn't far behind.
"I need to go get our bags," Miri told her aunt, "I'll be right back."
Miri then went out to the transport vehicle with John to get her bag along with those of her three siblings.
"Miri, could you wait a minute?" asked John.
She looked at him. "Sure, what is it?"
"I just wanted to tell you that when your mother returns home, I intend to ask her for permission to take you out the next time I'm in town," John said.
"Really?" asked Miri; "I'm sure Mom would say yes."
"That's good, because I want to spend more time with you," John said; "She can even chaperone if she wanted to."
"Mom trusts me a little more than that," Miri said; "But I understand your concerns. I'm still a minor. I'll be going to college in the fall, I'm just not sure where yet."
"I'll try to make it back up here before then, Miri," John said.
He then pressed a kiss to Miri's temple before they brought the bags back into the house.
,
He said his goodbyes and was gone. He was walking out to the truck when he heard Rachel Summers say, "Miri, he kissed you!"
Then Zach, who had awakened, saying, "Eww, Miri..."
Crossley smiled to himself.
He was completely smitten by the tall brunette with the soulful dark eyes. As he got back into the transport vehicle, one of his subordinates said, "So, Sarge, when's the wedding?"
"Fuck you, Corporal," John shot back; "She's 16. Not a whole lot I can do until she's of age."
"Whatever, Sarge."
But the next thought that crossed his mind was, I'm going to marry that girl someday.
Later that morning, Niki was understandably nervous.
It was her wedding day, after all.
Everything had been taken care of; she and Drake would be married by the court clerk, and witnessed by her staff. The announcement would be kept out of the paper, in accordance to couple's wishes. Considering who the bride's father was, it was a good idea.
The clerk knew that neither family would know about the marriage until the couple wanted to tell. She thought that was a smart move on their part. If they wanted the big ceremony later, then they have that option. But the marriage would be valid from the moment they signed the marriage license.
Niki and Drake arrived at city hall at 8:45am for their 9am appointment. There would be no rings yet. There was plenty of time for that.
As they got settled in the clerk's office, they went over what would take place. The clerk made copies of each of their IDs, and Drake's green card and work eligibiliy certification. Then the ceremony, such as it was, would begin.
The couple was escorted into the clerk's outer office, where two of her staff would act as witnesses. Then the ceremony began. The clerk identified herself, her staff and the couple, then said to Niki,
"Nicole Elizabeth Draiman, do you take Drake Martin Campbell as your lawfully wedded husband?
"I do," said Niki, with a hint of emotion in her voice.
"Drake Martin Campbell, do you take Nicole Elizabeth Draiman as your lawfully wedded wife?"
"I do," he said in a clear strong voice.
"By the power vested in me by authority of the civil court of the State of Texas, I now pronounce you man and wife," the clerk said; "Drake, you may kiss your bride. Quickly, before she faints."
Drake did what he was told and looked at Niki. She was his wife, and he couldn't have been happier of that fact.
As they left, hand in hand with their marriage license, they just looked at each other.
Once in the car, Drake said, "Mrs. Campbell, you are a ravishing bride!"
Niki smiled. "I like that...'Mrs. Campbell'."
"Let's go home, Mrs. Campbell, and consumate this marriage!"
"We're legit now, an old married couple of...." Niki checked her watch, "Twenty-five minutes!"
Drake laughed. Niki always loved Drake's laugh. She loved everything about her husband of twenty-five minutes...and for the rest of their lives.
Rachel sat on the couch, half asleep. She was watching something on television, but wasn't really paying attention to it. Kimber looked at her and knew that she'd be asleep before too long. The other kids were getting themselves situated in their new bedrooms.
Kimber saw Lady Marmalade saunter into the living room. The cat gave Tripod, who was sitting in front of the couch, a dirty look, then hopped on it and sniffed the person laying there.
Kimber could almost see Marm's thought process-- hey, you smell familiar. I think I know you. I'm going to lay down next to you.
"Hi, Marm," Rachel said sleepily; "I missed you." She then put her arm around the cat's body and fell asleep. Marm started purring, which got Tripod's attention. He looked up at Rachel on the couch, and the cat she had her arm draped over.
Hey! That's my person!
She was my person first, dog.
Tripod tried to stick his nose under Marm to get her to move, but she was having none of it. She hissed at Tripod, and swatted a paw at him. One of her claws caught Tripod on the snout and he yelped in pain.
"Okay, you two," Kimber said; "Leave each other alone before you wake up Rachel."
Tripod lay back down on the floor next to the couch. Marm still laid next to Rachel, who was unaware that the dog and the cat had just had their first confrontation.
Kimber only chuckled to herself.
No comments:
Post a Comment