10 March, 2011

Chapter 30

I


Eric arrived at the clinic where Kathryn was receiving treatment for her dual personality. He was still a bit nervous about seeing his daughter. He hoped that his presence was a positive experience for Kathryn. The one person Eric didn't want to see is Chastity.

As instructed, he asked to see Cameron first. A receptionist led him to Cameron's office. She was finishing up with some paperwork when the receptionist announced Eric's presence.

Cameron looked up to see a man in his early fifties, salt and pepper hair, and blue eyes behind wire rimmed glasses.

"Mr. Hope, it's nice to finally meet you," Cameron said; "Kathryn's been looking forward to seeing you."

Eric was a little thrown off by Cameron's appearance. Her surname suggested that she was Asian, but he noticed that she was definitely caucasian.

Eric extended his hand towards Cameron, "Pleasure's all mine, Ms. Chang."

Cameron noticed the odd look on Eric's face as she shook his hand, and knew what he was probably thinking. She got it a lot when people met her for the first time. She was used to it now, but when she and her husband first married, it bothered her a lot.

She dismissed it and invited Eric to take a seat in front of her desk.

Cameron got to the reason Eric was there.

"Kathryn's still a little vulnerable, and she's really nervous about seeing you," Cameron said; "All I ask is that you don't push her into revealing too much. If she wants you to know something, she'll tell you. And this is especially for Kelly as well. Please ask Kelly not to be confrontational, even if she thinks she has a right to know something. Again, if Kathryn wants to talk, she will say something."

"I've impressed upon Kelly that she is to not ask too many questions of Kathryn right away," Eric said; "Kelly understands that Kathryn is fragile right now. Kelly is studying some of these things in school right now."

"That's good," Cameron said. "Kathryn has to get used to being Kathryn again, and not be afraid that Chastity will make an appearance. And that's another thing, Mr. Hope; if Chastity does make an appearance, you are to call me immediately. I'll arrange for an ambulance to come get her. I hope that Kathryn will be present the entire time she is with you and Kelly."

"May I go see my daughter now?" asked Eric.

Cameron stood, so Eric did likewise. "Yes, you can," said Cameron; "Please- follow me."

She led Eric to the ward where Kathryn's room was, and he felt a bit unsettled. How do I ask her to forgive me? he asked himself.

===


Christian DeWitt helped his daughters prepare for Christmas; another Christmas without their mother. He knew that Kathryn was in good hands, and that she was going to see her father for the first time since she left home at sixteen.

Still, he wished that she'd come home to him and the girls.

Helene was going to dance in The Nutcracker, and DeWitt couldn't be more proud. He took his oldest daughter to the theatre to prepare with the rest of the company, then came home to get himself and the two younger girls ready.

"Daddy," Lili asked as her father fixed her hair, "is Helene going to be a star someday?"

"I think that's what she's working towards, Lili," DeWitt said; "She wants to be the best, and she works very hard at her craft. Helene has always been a star in my eyes, just as you and Erin are."

"Would Mommy think the same way?"

"I hope she would," DeWitt said. "Especially if she knew how hard Helene works at her dancing."

"Are we going to buy Helene flowers like last time?" asked Lili.

"Of course we are," DeWitt said.

"I like that part," Lili said; "Helene always looks so happy when she receives her flowers."

DeWitt finished putting the ribbons in Lili's hair, saying, "She does, doesn't she? Now, Lilibet, you're all ready to go. Don't mess up that pretty dress, now."

"I'll be very careful, Daddy," the five year old said.

DeWitt walked down the hall to Erin's room, where she was fixing her own hair. He knocked on the door, asking, "May I come in, Erin?"

"Yes, Dad," Erin said.

"You're almost ready?" he asked.

"Almost," said Erin. "I can't get these pin curls to behave!"

"May I, Erin?" DeWitt asked as he took the lock of hair Erin was working with. He curled it around his finger, sprayed it with hair spray, and carefully removed his finger to reveal a perfect pin curl. He did the same on the other side. Erin was pleased with how they came out.

"How did you learn how to do that, Dad?" she asked in amazement.

"I watched your mom do it when you and Helene were little," DeWitt said. "Sometimes, you just need another set of hands."

"Thanks, Dad!" Erin said as she kissed his cheek.

"Aww, shucks, girl, it was nothing," DeWitt said, slightly embarrassed. "Now, shall we head off to the florist so we can pick out flowers for Helene?"

"Is Lili ready?" asked Erin.

"She is, and she's anxious to get going," DeWitt said. "I don't how much longer she's going to keep that dress looking nice, so we better go now."

He gathered his daughters and they went to the florist to get three bouquets for Helene. Then they went off to the theatre.

DeWitt only hoped that the man that Helene said always came to her performances and unnerved her wouldn't show. Or else he'd have to take matters into his own hands.

He realized what The Triad and their families went through because of the Movement. He did know that they would protect their children at all costs.

And so would he.

===
II



The San Marcos and the Donovans got together to have annual family Christmas party. It always took place two days before Christmas at one of the siblings homes. Only this year, Julia and her family wouldn't be there, a fact that bothered Jeremiah more than a little bit.

This year, it was at the San Marcos' home. After Jeremiah, Jasmine and the kids arrived, introductions were made for the two newcomers, Alex Springer and Lisa Cooper. Lisa had met most everyone when she was young, but Alex, who had only been dating Sandrina for about a month, was bombarded with new faces and names. He had no trouble with the San Marcos, but kept getting the Donovan girls names confused.

"You'll get it down, Alex," Arielle assured her cousin's boyfriend; "It's all these names with 'A' that confuse people; even people we know well!"

"Don't forget that all you girls have the same middle name," Sandrina said to Arielle; to Alex she said, "Uncle Joe and Aunt Tracy started it. They gave Danica the middle name of Antonia, so all the girls had to have it!"

"Who was Antonia?" asked Alex.

"That was my mother's name," Jeremiah said; "Joe and I got all hung up about starting a tradition, since our mother died when we were very young."

Alex nodded, but said nothing. Nik saw that the boy looked a bit overwhelmed, and took him aside.

"Confused yet, Alex?" Nik asked, smiling. "I know we're a big bunch, and it's not a requirement to know everyone's names right away. And this isn't even all of us. My sister, Julia, and her family had their lives threatened last summer and are in hiding. Hopefully, you'll get to meet them soon."

"I'm a little overwhelmed, sir," Alex said; "A lot to remember, for sure."

"At home, Alex," Nik said, "I'm Nik, not 'sir' or 'Major'. And for God sakes don't call me 'Mr. San Marco'! That was my father."

Nik saw Alex relax a little. They then went back into the living room to enjoy the festivities.

Later, the celebration spilled out into the backyard, where the younger kids played and the adults and older children talked.

But something caught Sandrina's attention. Something, or someone, was out in the woods, watching. It unnerved her.

My sixth sense, she thought. It's going haywire!

She wasn't alone in feeling that way. Aaliyah came up to her and said,

"Sandy, we're being watched."

Sandrina looked at her cousin and said, "I know, Aaliyah. But we can't alarm the others. We're supposed to be having fun."

"Should I tell Dad and Uncle Nik, Sandy?" she asked.

"I'll tell them, Aaliyah," Sandrina said, and started walking over to where Nik and Jeremiah stood talking with Alex and Matt.

"Dad," asked Sandrina, "may I speak with you and Uncle Jere for a moment?"

"Sure," said Nik, seeing the seriousness in his daughter's eyes.

Once she got her father and uncle alone, she said, "Aaliyah and I think we're being watched by someone out in the woods. How should we handle it so we don't panic anyone?"

"Let me talk to your mother, Sandy, and see if we can move everything inside," Nik said; "It's starting to get a bit chilly out here. Maybe whoever is out there will think better of this and go somewhere and get warm."

Nik didn't believe it, and saw that Sandrina didn't either. Sandrina had a bad feeling about who was out in the woods.

And she would be right.

===


Wearing the brace to keep her arm stablized finally got on Julia's last nerve. When she got dressed that morning, two days before Christmas, she just didn't put it back on. It's been almost two months, Julia thought, I'm sure that the broken collarbone is healed by now.

Jack noticed the absence of the brace when Julia came out to the living room. He was concerned that Julia had taken it off too soon, but he also knew that she was frustrated with having to wear it.

"If you're not going to wear the brace, Julia," he said, "that's fine with me, but please be careful so you don't reinjure your arm."

"I know that I'm going to need physical therapy at some point," Julia said; "but the damn thing is driving me nuts!"

"The kids are ready for their lessons when you're ready to begin," Jack said.

She saw her four children sitting at the dining room table and seriously considered not having lessons that day.

"Okay ladies, and Zach, this is the plan for today," Julia said; "You have an hour to prepare a talk on something you're passionate about. After that, there will be no more lessons until after New Years."

"Yay!" cried Rachel. Her siblings applauded.

"First, Jaime," Julia said, looking to her second born, "an update on our guests in the stables, please?"

Before Jaime could say anything, Zach asked, "Did you give them names?"

Jaime rolled her eyes at her brother, then said, "Our 'guests' as Mom put it, are doing quite well. Mama is eating well and gaining weight, and makes sure that her colt is doing well. He is happy to see me when I go out to check on them, and likes it when I take him for short strolls around the barn. And yes, Zachary, I did give the colt a name. The mare I'm just calling 'Mama' for now."

"What did you name him, James?" asked Miri.

"You know how race horses have these fancy names?" asked Jaime; "Well I gave him a fancy name, but I call him something else. His fancy name is 'Giant Steps' after a song by John Coltrane. But I call him just Coltrane."

Jack raised an eyebrow slightly, an action which Julia caught. He then asked, "Why did you name him that, Jaime?"

"Mom had these lessons about the different kinds of music there are in American culture, and she played different examples of them," explained Jaime; "The ones I remember best were jazz. Both John Coltrane and Charlie Parker were early favorites of mine. Parker's nickname was 'Bird', but that sounded like a stupid name for a horse. 'Giant Steps' was one of my favorites by John Coltrane, so that's what the colt's name is."

Jack was torn between telling the children his real name, or letting them believe what they've always been told. The musician named John Coltrane was not related to Jack, and died when Jack was about four years old. Jack realized that at some point, he'd discuss with Julia whether he should tell them. That might also bring up questions from them about his past, and that he did not want to discuss. Period.

"It's a nice name for him," Jack said; "Does he seem to like it?"

"He's learned that when he hears it, it means someone is talking to him or about him," Jaime said; "He's a pretty smart little guy."

"You know he's not going to stay little, right?" asked Miri.

Jaime looked at her sister and said only, "Duh?"

===



Kathryn was sitting in a chair in her room when her father knocked on the door.

"May I come in, Kathryn Marie?" he asked.

"Dad!" said Kathryn excitedly as she stood up from where she sat. She walked over to him and gave him a hug, which Eric returned.

"How are you, princess?" he asked, trying not to become emotional.

"I'm doing okay, Dad," she said; "Cameron said that I can go spend Christmas with you."

"That's what she told me, too," said Eric; "I've got your old bedroom at the lake house all ready for you. I moved out there permanently about five years ago."

"Before Mom died?" asked Kathryn.

"Yes," said Eric; "You knew about that, then? That your mother passed away."

"Cameron told me," Kathryn said. "I'd like to go see where she's buried if I can."

"That's in Maryland where she grew up, Kathryn," Eric said. "If the weather's not too bad, we could go there so you can have closure."

Kathryn thought about that. She didn't want to ask too much of her father right away. She wanted to get to know him all over again before she made the trip to Maryland.

"Is it just going to be us for Christmas, Dad?" she asked.

"Kelly's coming home from college," Eric said; "She knows you're going to be here, and she's looking forward to seeing you."

Kathryn felt a bit torn. She never got to raise Kelly like she did her other three daughters. She'd been away from them for a long time. Lili would be five, almost six now, and Kathryn feared that the little girl wouldn't remember her. Meeting Kelly would be like meeting a stranger. Kathryn was apprehensive.

"Kathryn," Eric said, "I know that meeting Kelly is going to be hard for you. Kelly's pretty nervous herself, from what I've been able to tell talking to her on the phone. It will be okay. She knows the reason why you left her with your mother and me."

"I feel so awful about that," Kathryn said as she gathered her bag for the trip out to the lake house; "I wouldn't blame her one bit if she hated me. I hate myself for allowing Chastity to take over my life."

"Let's not worry about that for a while, okay Kathryn?" asked Eric. "Let's just concentrate on being together for Christmas."

Kathryn looked at her father, thinking, I don't deserve the second chance you're giving me, Dad. Out loud, she said, "Okay, I think I can do that."

"Good," said Eric as he took Kathryn's bag.

"I have to stop by Cameron's office before we leave, okay?" Kathryn said. "I have to wear a monitoring bracelet while I'm out of the clinic."

After that was taken care of, Eric took his daughter home. On the drive, Kathryn wasn't thinking about the impending arrival of her oldest daughter, but of the three younger girls living with their father in Syracuse. One day, thought Kathryn, we'll be a family again...if Christian will have me.

===
III



Pollard, Sandrina thought; Pollard's out there, watching, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. If he hurts anyone in this family, he will die at my hands.

===



Stupid little bitch, Pollard seethed; she knows I'm out here though I haven't shown myself yet. Her nosiness is going to be her downfall. I will not be bested by some teenage girl!

===



She saw the movement in the trees just beyond the house. No one else saw it, she thought. I can't do anything about it because I'm too young. Someone is stalking us, and not doing a very good job staying hidden, Aaliyah thought; I should tell Dad and Uncle Nik.

===



What the hell was that? Matt asked himself, catching movement out in the woods. Not even at Christmas we can relax and be a normal family? We always have to be on our guard? I thought this was what Dad, Uncle Jere, Aunt Julia and Aunt Natasha fought against to end the Occupation.

At that moment, Matthias San Marco decided that whoever was threatening his family would pay the price.

===


"Pollard."

"What, Sandy?" asked Alex.

"Clayton Pollard is out in the woods, Alex," Sandrina said; "He followed us here. He's going to kill us. All of us."

"How do you know it's Pollard?" Alex asked. "Isn't he the one who tried to shoot at us at the gun range?"

"Yes, he's the one," Sandrina said; "And I just saw his ugly mug. He thinks he's hiding from us, but I've seen him."

"He's not good at what he does, is he?"

"Far from it, Alex."

"What are we going to do, Sandy?"

Just then, Matt approached his sister and Alex. Before he could say anything, Sandrina said, "Matt, there is someone out in the woods who means us harm. I know who he is. He's tried to kill me twice before in D.C."

"I saw someone, too, Sandy," Matt said; "We should tell Dad and Uncle Jere."

"You should tell Dad and Uncle Jere what?" Nik said, walking up behind the group.

"Clayton Pollard," Sandrina said; "He's out in the woods stalking us."

"Shit girl, you know his fuckin' name?" asked Matt.

"He held me and Danica hostage at school and tried to kill us," Sandrina said; "Then a couple of weeks ago, he tried to shoot me and Alex at the gun range that Aunt Tash goes to."

"Then we have to eliminate him, before he gets to any of us," Nik said; "Is this what you and Aaliyah thought you saw?"

"Yes, Dad, but I didn't know it was Pollard until just a few minutes ago," Sandrina said; "I saw his face. I'd know it anywhere. He was on the same plane as me and Alex, but in disguise. Had I known it was him at the time, I would have informed the air marshalls."

"Mom's moving everything indoors," Nik said; "We have to act as if we are unaware of this Pollard's presence in the woods. If he's hellbent on killing us, he'll make himself known."

"And I'll kill him," Matt said.

===



Shit, shit, shit! Pollard thought; the bitch has seen me! That's what she's talking to all those people about. I'll just lay low until they've all gone inside, then I'll take care of all of them. Line 'em up and shoot 'em down.

Pollard didn't know about Matt San Marco's vow to kill him. Pollard wouldn't have a chance to hurt anyone.

===


As DeWitt and his two younger daughters sat in the auditorium to watch Helene's performance as Clara in The Nutcracker, Helene was backstage in the shared dressing room when the stage manager brought in a large bouquet of flowers.

Helene had a bad feeling about who they were for, and from whom they came.

"Helene, you're pretty popular," the manager said; "Everytime you're in a performance, someone sends you flowers. Your dad sure knows his flowers!"

"They're not from my dad, Randy," Helene said; "I don't know who they're from."

Indeed, when Helene read the card that came with them, it only said "From A Friend". And that creeped her out. Her father and sisters usually gave her flowers after her performances, and not before, like this person did.

"Whoever it is, it must be someone you know or your family knows," Randy said.

Helene knew better than to correct the stage manager. She just pretended the flowers were from her mother, wherever she was.

In reality, they were from someone that Helene should have known, had they not decided years ago to abandon the family name and live life without his father's money and notariety.

===


He didn't know whether to stay and watch the performance, or leave. Then he saw his estranged father and two young girls come into the theatre. He knew that they were the sisters of the girl who was dancing that evening that he had sent flowers to.

Chris Caldwell (formerly known as Christian DeWitt, Jr.) was happy to learn he had younger siblings other than his pretentious younger brother Charles and his snotty wife, Sophia. They even had snotty and pretentious children.

He'd always wanted a younger sister, but that never happened. When he reached college age, he informed his parents that he wanted to be his own man and not rely on the family fortune to skate by in life. He left home at eighteen, changed his name, and lived his own life. He'd married, had children of his own, then divorced. He hadn't seen his own children in four years.

Caldwell discovered by accident that he had three younger half sisters while doing a search on his father on the internet. Their mother's name was Kathryn.

He was curious as to what his sisters looked like, and by chance discovered that the oldest girl, Helene, was a standout ballerina with a bright future ahead of her at only twelve years old. He found out where her next performance was and arranged to send flowers before the show. He always signed the card from "A Friend". It didn't occur to him that Helene might think this was creepy. He just wanted to reach out to the sister he didn't know he had.

Caldwell decided not to stay for the performance. He was not ready to face his father. Especially now that he needed the old man's advice.

Chris Caldwell was broke.

===



Kathryn remembered the lake side house from her childhood. It was a big house for its location, but she had always liked being just steps from the lake.

Once inside, Kathryn got settled in her old bedroom, across the hall from that of her daughter, Kelly. The girl was due home in a couple of hours, and Kathryn would be accompanying her father to the airport to pick her up.

She was understandibly nervous and concerned. She hadn't seen Kelly since she was a newborn, and didn't recognize pictures of her when they were shown to her. I know now I'm not a bad mother, Kathryn thought, I wish I had taken care of the Chastity problem a long time ago.

But if you don't know you have a problem, how does one fix it, she thought.

For the first time in a long time, Kathryn would be having Christmas with her father and oldest daughter. But her mind wandered back to the man she fell in love with almost fourteen years ago and the three daughters they had together.

I hope you'll let me come home, Christian, she said to herself.

===

No comments:

Post a Comment