I
“I wonder if she’s going to be tall like your sister,” mused Lisa one afternoon about four weeks before hers and Matt’s baby girl was due.
Matt just shrugged; “I have no idea, Lis. Sandy is pretty tall, but you’re no slouch yourself.”
“All of you are really tall, though,” Lisa said. “Should I be worried?”
“About what?”
“Whether I can do this the normal way, or via C-section,” Lisa said.
“Lisa, you’re worrying too much,” Matt said; “My mother didn’t need a C-section with any of us except Sandy, and that’s because she was coming early whether my parents were ready or not. Mom had regular vaginal deliveries with Pete and Danny.”
Lisa sighed, “I know, Matt. I’m a little nervous.”
“And I’m not?” asked Matt. “I’ve never been a daddy before. True, I don’t have to give birth. But all your doctor’s visits have been fine, so unless something unforeseen happens, you’ll do just fine.”
Lisa wanted to get off the subject of giving birth (something that still kind of scared her), and onto the subject of Karina’s nursery.
“You think there’s too much pink in this room?” she asked Matt.
“The room is perfect the way it is,” Matt said; “You picked out everything. I just worked to put it all together. The only thing that my mother suggested is to not use the bumper pads, or leave toys in the crib.”
“I do like the block letters you painted for Karina though,” Lisa said. “They’re cute.”
“I can’t take all the credit for that, Lis,” Matt said; “Your dad helped a lot. I think that his impending grandfatherhood is keeping his mind off his grief. He really likes the name Karina though.”
“That was Mom’s name before the Occupation,” Lisa said; “She was always called Karly. Had it not been for Julia Terranova, God only knows what would have become of us.”
“I know she arranged for you and your mom to escape,” Matt said; “You were really little then.”
“About a year old,” Lisa said. “Mom never got the chance to thank your Aunt Julia properly for everything she’d done for us. She was sorry that when the New Army captain she worked for got his freedom via Dad’s Hit-n-Run team, he died in a car accident.”
“True, true,” Matt said; “But we can’t go back and change the past. We have to live in the here and now and plan for the future. And our future includes a little girl named Karina Kiera.”
“Yes,” Lisa said. “I can’t wait to meet her!”
===
Miri just wanted to take a nap, because if she looked at another book, or at any more notes, or any more pictures of old paintings, she was going to go mad.
Finals were the following week, and even though Miri had opted out of several of them because of her A-plus GPA, there was still one in Art History, and another one in Design that she had to take.
Kelly was not fairing much better. She had three finals to take; two of them were back to back. She felt like her head was going to explode.
“I think,” Kelly said, “we need a meal break.”
“I know we need one,” Miri said; “That or a long nap. I’m exhausted!”
“Should we go out, or order in?”
“Let’s order from that Asian place in town,” Miri said; “I could use some Pho.”
“Oooh, yes!” Kelly said; “Our secret weapon! And those crab and cream cheese things, too.”
Miri closed her books and put her notes and pictures away. “We split the cost as always. I’ve got twenty bucks.”
“I’ve got about that, too,” Kelly said as she slid her books back into her bookbag; “And enough for a tip. I’ll even call.”
Kelly got on the phone to Asian Dee-Light, and placed their order. She got a price and a delivery time. They were usually pretty prompt with their deliveries, but with Finals coming up, Kelly thought that maybe it would take a little longer.
“I can almost smell the Pho,” Miri said.
“I can, too, Mir,” Kelly said looking out the window; “Someone else had the same idea, because there’s a delivery driver walking into the building as we speak.”
“Drat,” Miri said, laughing; “And here we thought we were the only ones who knew about that place!”
“I wish,” Kelly said; “It’s pretty popular here. They must do a ton of business from Northwestern alone!”
“That,” Miri said as she walked to her room to put her books away, “wouldn’t surprise me in the least!”
===
II
“Excuse me,” Jeremiah said to the state senator who came to visit him at the Times-Tribune; “You want me to what?!”
“I’m retiring, Jeremiah,” Senator James Vincent Carlson said; “and I want you to run for my vacant seat.”
“But, why me?” asked Jeremiah; “I’m a freaking journalist, not a politician!”
“That’s why you’d be perfect,” Carlson said; “You have a rock solid reputation, you’re a family man, and then there’s your service during the Occupation.”
“With all due respect, Senator Carlson,” said Jeremiah, “I did most of that ‘service’ while still a teenager. I’m nearly 40 years old. I hope to God I’ve become known for more than being a gun toting teen assassin!”
“But your reputation is well earned, young man,” Carlson said; “You’ve never been sued for libel, your reports are more factual than anyone expects. Fact checkers can’t find anything to use against you. That would be perfect for the state house, in my opinion.”
Jeremiah sighed. Jasmine’s going to kill me for even mentioning this, he thought.
“Say I do agree to consider it, Senator,” he said; “How long would I have to decide whether to do it or not?”
“You’d have to let the State Board of Elections know by the end of March,” Carlson said; “That will give you about four months to talk it over with your family and come up with plans.”
“For right now, I’ll just say I’ll discuss it with my wife,” Jeremiah said; “That’s all I can promise at this time. Meanwhile, Senator, news never sleeps, so I must get back to my duties.”
“Of course, Jeremiah,” Carlson said; “But think about how nice ‘State Senator Jeremiah M. Donovan’ sounds.”
After the senator left, Jeremiah thought, there’s a lot more involved with that job than how it sounds. Senator, you must think I’m in your pocket. Well, I’m not, and if I decide to run for office, it will be against anyone you convince to take your vacant seat.
And with that, Jeremiah considered the matter closed.
===
Carlson was a little disappointed that Donovan didn’t jump on the chance to run for elected office. He was sure the younger man would be chomping at the bit to do so.
Maybe he really isn’t interested, Carlson thought as he got into his car. He does have a solid position at the Times-Tribune and an unshakeable reputation. He could write his own ticket, if he wanted it.
The senator learned quite a few things about Jeremiah Donovan in the few minutes he was in the veteran journalist’s office. He hated praise he didn’t earn; he doesn’t want his past to dominate his entire life; he would talk over any life changing decisions with his wife and family before making any kind of statement.
The boy was raised by good people, Carlson said to himself as he negotiated through Chicago’s impossible noontime traffic. They encouraged him and his siblings to think for themselves, and not rush to judgement. The older that Donovan got, Carlson realized, the more he took those values to heart and made them a permanent part of his make up. His children probably held the same ideals their parents did.
I won’t push him, Carlson decided; if he wants to run for office, it will be on his time and on his terms.
And the more convinced Carlson became that Jeremiah Donovan would write his own ticket. All the way into the White House.
If he wanted it.
===
Another man had already decided that politics was the way to get where he wanted to go. After moving to another state and establishing residency there, Richard Pike decided to run for Congress.
He didn’t have to worry about his past as Charles DeWitt, because as far as anyone was concerned, Charles Richardson DeWitt was dead. There was a body buried in his “widow’s” family plot under that name. No one would be the wiser, Pike thought.
The State of Connecticut had never seen the likes of Richard Pike. He spoke forcefully, outlined his plans, convinced his potential constituents that he was the man for the job. The fact that he was relatively young, an accomplished lawyer, and community minded sealed the deal for most people. And his being single didn’t hurt, either. Women were falling all over themselves to be seen with him at the various events he attended as the candidate. Pike knew that upon his election, the attention that women lavished on him would only increase.
He only had eyes for one, and she was five years away from the age of majority.
That was his one dirty secret that no one but him knew- his obsession with a young girl named Jameson. And if he had anything to say about it, no one would ever know about that part of his life that he kept hidden. Not the voters, not the lawyers he worked and socialized with; not even the young women he would “practise” on until he got his moves perfected so that Jameson would be his pet forever.
Pike had no idea; no clue there was one person who could find out anything she wanted about him. No idea that another would end his sick desires forever.
And, no idea that a former rival would come back from the dead and point the finger right at Richard Pike.
All he cared about presently was the upcoming election. But Jameson was never to far from his thoughts.
Nor he from hers. She didn’t know his name or what he looked like, but she knew he was watching her.
And it scared her to her core.
===
III
Niki and Drake were making plans for their vow renewal ceremony in June, after Drake got his Masters. Niki was sending emails back and forth from Danica and Sandrina about who to contact for whatever it was they needed; the hall, the church, catering, dresses. Once a week, she and her nieces held a conference call.
“Niki, go to bridal shows and find out who is the best at what they do,” Danica suggested; “Get their business cards and brochures and send us the information. We’ll do all the leg work. You shouldn’t be stressing out over this.”
“Stressing out over her wedding is what brides do, isn’t it?” Niki asked.
“Not you, Niki,” Sandrina chimed in from another phone; “All you should be worrying about is your dress. Something simple, since you’ve been married a while.”
“Are we going to have to pay you like real clients?” Niki asked; “Drake wanted me to ask.”
“Actually,” Danica said hesitantly, “your folks already signed a contract with us, so you don’t have to worry about money. But you didn’t hear it from us, okay?”
Niki laughed; “Okay, my lips are sealed!”
“Good,” Sandrina said; “because the last thing we need is Granpa David jumping down our throats!”
“That would not be good,” Danica agreed.
After the conference call ended, there was a knock at the door. Niki went over to answer it. On the other side stood her brother, Sam.
“Hey, brother, what brings you here?” Niki asked.
“I have to tell Mom and Dad something, and I’m not sure how to go about it,” Sam said as he stepped inside and his sister closed the door behind him.
“Being direct usually works, Sam,” Niki said; “Dad hates it when you hem and haw about something. So, what is it that’s got you all flustered? You didn’t get Lauren pregnant, did you?”
Sam shook his head; “No, Niki I didn’t, but it does involve Lauren and Ashley.”
“Dad’s pretty impressed that you’ve taken on the dad role in Ashley’s life, Sam,” said Niki; “She’s an adorable girl, and hopefully she’ll be my niece for real someday.”
“Is ‘now’ too soon for you then?” asked Sam.
That got Niki’s attention. “Now?”
Sam said, “That’s what I have to tell Mom and Dad, Niki. Lauren and I went to Vegas two weeks ago and got married.”
“But you’re barely 19, Sam!”
“It was the right thing to do, sis,” Sam said; “Lauren and I are meant to be together, and Ashley makes our little family complete. Until we decide to have one or two of our own.”
“I strongly suggest then, little brother, that you tell Mom and Dad now, and not wait til Christmas or Hanukkah to tell them,” Niki said, still in a bit of shock. Her brother, married? To a girl two years older than he with a little girl of her own?
“Then that’s what we’ll do,” Sam said; “Lauren went to get Ash from the sitter, then we’re going to the house to see Mom and Dad. I hope they’re as understanding as you are.”
“I think you’ll be surprised how they’ll take it, Sam,” said Niki; “Dad, I’m pretty sure, has been expecting it.”
Sam sighed; “I never was good at hiding my feelings for Lauren, was I? I was hooked from the first time she said hello.”
“Dad knows exactly how that feels, if the stories he tells about meeting Mom are any indication,” said Niki; “Now go, tell them they have another grandchild to spoil!”
===
Todd arrived home to a very emotional Christine. When he asked what was wrong, she told him nothing was; it was just hormones. “I cry at the slightest provocation now,” she said.
But Todd knew her too well. He knew there was something bothering her. When he brought up the fact that her twin sister called him that afternoon, Christine dissolved into tears.
“Hormones, right?” Todd asked, knowing there was more to it than that.
“Todd,” Christine sniffled; “I saw my baby brother on the news today. I don’t usually watch the afternoon news, but there he was, all grown up. He’s a reporter for Channel 6. When I fled from home after my marriage broke up, he and Dannie were freshmen in high school.”
“Dannie’s his twin sister, right?” asked Todd; “The one who is hearing impaired?”
“Yes, Chris and Dannie are twins,” Christine said; “They were named after one of my great uncles because they shared a birthday.”
“Both of them?”
“Yes,” Christine said; “My great uncle was Daniel Christopher; Chris’ full name is our uncle’s in reverse, and Danniela’s is the feminine version of it, or Danniela Christina.”
“And Chris is a reporter now?” asked Todd. “Wonder who he got that idea from?”
“He always liked the news business,” Christine said; “when he was in high school, he was the youngest ever editor of the school paper. No freshman had ever been Editor in Chief before or since.”
“Christine, what if your twin wanted to come see you? Would that be okay?” asked Todd, changing the subject.
Christine looked at him. At first she felt scared. What do I tell Brittyn after all this time? she asked herself. Then she thought that it would be a good idea. She could get a lot of her questions answered. The main one Christine wanted an answer to was if her grandmother was still alive.
“Todd,” she began, choosing her words; “Nothing would make me happier than to see my sister again; to see my family again.”
“You’re not afraid anymore?”
“No,” Christine said, realizing that she was free from her fear at last; “For the first time in over ten years, I finally feel safe.”
No comments:
Post a Comment