I
Christine had been up for hours. It was her routine even on days she wasn’t scheduled to work. It made her sleeping habits much more predictable.
She was required to wear her dress uniform to Jacob’s funeral, because of his position as the husband of a former President. She wouldn’t be in the honor guard, but she wouldn’t be the only uniform at the service, either.
She hoped that Julia Summers remembered her from her stay at Walter Reed during the summer. Christine also hoped Julia didn’t wonder why she was there. In one of the last conversations she had with Jacob, he’d told her that he told Julia that he and Christine had become friends. Christine only hoped that Julia believed that it was only friendship between her and Jacob.
This morning, Christine was feeling a little unwell. She thought she might be coming down with something, but as a rule she didn’t self medicate. As a nurse, she knew how dangerous that could become for someone who is not a trained medical professional.
Christine put on her uniform and noticed that it felt a little tight around the waist. She wrote it off to premenstrual water weight gain and thought no more about it. She attached her ribbons and name plate to the coat, then hung it up until she got ready to leave.
Eating breakfast helped ease the feeling in her stomach. Why am I nervous about going to Jacob’s funeral? she asked herself as she rinsed her breakfast dishes in the sink and placed them in the dishwasher. I knew he was ill, she thought, so this was only a matter of time. I just wish my time with him hadn’t been so short.
Thinking about that first meeting with him after Julia had been hospitalized on her ward, she knew that something about him would change her. At the time, she had no idea what that might have been, but thinking about it, Christine realized that her role, as brief as it was, was to be Jacob’s friend. Their becoming lovers was unplanned. She knew that she made him happy, but she hoped it was her that he saw when they made love and not his late wife.
That visit from the head of Jacob’s Secret Service detail still hadn’t sat well with her. It seemed like the man had seen her somewhere before. She noticed that he gazed a bit longer at the photo she had laid on the table by the door than she felt comfortable with. Maybe it was because he saw two of me and realized I was an identical twin.
“Only I could possibly in this big wide world find someone who knew Brittyn,” Christine said aloud; “But that can’t be it. Last I heard, Brittyn and her family lived in Maryland or somewhere.”
Christine wondered after all this was over, if she could go back home and reconnect with her family.
She would soon be in need of her grandmother’s advice. Christine hoped her grandmother hadn’t passed. Would serve me right, she thought, if Nonna died before I could fix this mess I’d gotten myself into.
===
“I swear to God, Brittyn, this woman I saw could be your twin,” Rafe Parkerson told his daughter in law. “Same height, hair color, everything. Except her name.”
“What’s her name?” Brittyn Crowley Parkerson asked her father in law.
“Christine Travis. She’s an Army nurse at Walter Reed,” Parkerson said; “She was on a list that Jacob Ross had for people to contact in the event of his death.”
“It’s probably just a coincidence, Rafe,” said Brittyn.
“I was going to write it off to that,” Parkerson said; “But she had a photo in her house very similar to the one you have in your office. The mother in the photo is your mother, Britt!”
“Lots of women have red hair, Rafe,” Brittyn said, not daring to hope that this Army nurse in Washington was her long lost twin, Bethanie. “And there are lots of red headed identical twins, too.”
“She’ll be at Ross’ funeral today,” Parkerson said; “It will be televised. Maybe the camera will capture her in the group of mourners emerging from the chapel.”
“Rafe,” Brittyn said, carefully measuring her words; “I can’t make myself believe that Beth is less than a four hour drive from here. She’d have said something to me. She’s been gone for years. I can’t believe that she has been so close all this time.”
Parkerson put his hand on Brittyn’s arm, saying, “I know, dear. It’s a lot to take in. But I’m sure that Christine Travis is your twin, Bethanie. I don’t know the circumstances as to why she just disappeared one day years ago and changed her name.”
“Her ex husband was threatening to kill her,” Brittyn said; “He threatened our whole family looking for Beth. I know he’s dead now. But if this woman is Beth, she doesn’t know! That’s why she’s still hiding.”
“Maybe after everything calms down in Washington regarding Jacob Ross, I could do some digging on your behalf,” said Parkerson.
“What if it’s not her, despite the photo you saw?”
“We could find that out.”
Brittyn just shook her head. Beth may still be alive and in hiding, she thought. That this woman’s last name is Travis says a lot. Beth should have married Todd all along, and to hell what people thought.
“Brittyn?”
She looked at her father in law. He may have found her twin completely by chance. I can’t raise up too much hope, she thought.
“I’m okay,” said Brittyn; “I’ll think about your offer and talk it over with Robby, and see what he thinks.”
“That’s a good start,” Parkerson said, taking his leave.
When Brittyn was alone, she broke down. She’d always thought part of herself was missing when Bethanie disappeared. What if this Christine Travis wasn’t Bethanie?
Brittyn didn’t want to think about that. Not now.
===
Everyone who had come into town for the funeral met at Natasha’s. Her nephew, Matt, and his fiancee Lisa were due within the hour. Nik was actually looking forward to seeing his oldest son again.
“Okay, everyone,” Natasha said; “Since there’s been a threat to Nik, Julia and Jeremiah, everyone over the age of 13 who has had more than a year of weapons training will take a firearm with them to the funeral service. Hope and pray that we don’t have to use them.”
“We miss out on all the fun,” Rachel said, flopping down on one of the two couches in Aunt Natasha’s living room.
“Rachel, how long have you been taking weapons training?” asked her mother.
Rachel thought about it and said, “Since the summer before we went to Wyoming.”
“And you’re how old?”
“Oh...”
“I rest my case,” Julia said. “But you and Aaliyah can still be helpful. If either of you feel your sixth sense kicking in, let one of us know. It could help figure out how to deal with those who have come to do us harm.”
“Okay, Aunt Julia,” Aaliyah said. “Rach, I think we can do that.”
“I think so, too, Liyah.”
“Tash,” KateLynn said, “do the authorities know we’re going to be packing?”
“Yes, Kate,” Natasha said. “They almost expect us to be. Just because we’re us.”
KateLynn only sighed. What are we, the fucking calvary? she thought.
===
II
The assassins were getting last minute instructions. They had their hiding places and were looking forward to eliminating The Triad.
They still didn’t know that they wouldn’t make it out alive.
They also didn’t know that the man who hired them was also in the area. He’d write them off. Just another bunch of bastards he didn’t have to pay.
===
He was watching as the entire family left the house in one of several limosines headed to the funeral service for Jacob Ross. At least there will be no more Morbus to mess up my plans, he thought.
He then saw his pet’s family leave in the next to last vehicle. She was wearing a dark skirt, blouse, hose and heels. Her red hair was tied back with a purple ribbon. Her younger brother was slightly taller than she was.
Little sister was wearing a blue dress. The oldest girl was accompanied by an Army enlisted man.
Then their mother came out.
You will die this day, Julia Summers, he thought. You and your “brothers” will meet your maker... or meet in hell.
The last limo contained the CIA Director, his new bride and her children. Ahh, Natasha, he thought. I should kill you, too, but killing your brother Nikolai will be my intense pleasure. If you come after my assassins, your new husband will have to raise your children on his own.
He sat back in the non descript car he sat in and smiled. Oh, I’m good, he thought.
He wouldn’t be thinking that much longer, for his plan would fail. He’d just go back and plan differently. He just wouldn’t have to pay dead assassins.
===
Jaime kept looking out the window, wondering if the person watching her was out there. Was he in the next car? Was he the limo driver? Was he (she was certain it was a “he”) going to be someone in the chapel?
She felt weird. She hated that feeling. She wondered if she should tell her mom.
Maybe after the funeral. Would it be too late then?
Jaime slumped down in her seat so that no one could see her from the outside. She crossed her hands under her breasts and stayed that way until they reached the chapel.
The feeling then went away as quickly as it had arrived.
But she’d still be on her guard. She knew there were sick people out there who liked doing awful things to girls her age.
“Jaime, sit up,” Julia said. “Young ladies don’t sit like that, especially with young men in the same car.”
“Yes, mom,” she said; she sat up and continued to stare out the window.
I know he’s out there...
===
The Honor Guard stood watch over the casket that contained the remains of one Jacob Aaron Ross, formerly known as Jacob Rossman, formerly known as Morbus the Sickness.
Eight Army Sergeants would bear the casket from the hearse to the chapel where the services would be held. Jacob Ross was still a powerfully built man even in his 60s and his weight plus the weight of the casket would take as many as eight men.
The Army was chosen because of the late Interim President’s service to them before her Presidency. There would be other Army personnel in attendance, including the Army sergeant who had so captured Jacob Ross’ heart for the last three months of his life.
Sgt. Christine Travis entered the chapel shortly before the arrival of the families, dressed in her full uniform. Protocol called for it for state funerals. She just felt weird and out of place just being there.
I didn’t know Jacob six months ago, she thought; but because our paths crossed by chance and we became more than friends, here I am at his funeral.
“Ma’am,” a young private said to her, “show you to your seat?”
“Yes, Private, please,” Christine replied. Soon, she was seated just behind the seats reserved for family and close friends.
Oh, this is too weird for me, she thought. Maybe I should leave. In her head, she heard,
No, Christine, please stay.
===
Matt and Lisa were running very late. They had left Charlottesville in plenty of time, but then one of the tires had to go flat.
“Great,” Matt said as he looked at the tire in disgust; “It was a new tire!”
He was taking the spare out of the trunk when Lisa got out of the car. Six months pregnant, she waddled over to where Matt stood.
“Can I do anything to help?” she asked.
Matt sighed; she was supposed to be on bed rest, but her doctor allowed her to attend the funeral. All he could think of changing the tire so they could at least attend the burial.
And the fit he was sure his parents were going to have the moment they saw Lisa.
“Lis, get back in the car, baby. This should just take a few minutes and we’ll be on our way.”
“Okay, okay...” Lisa said, laughing; “Your parents are gonna freak when we roll up.”
“This is your great uncle we’re going to bury, don’t forget,” Matt said. “Didn’t we just bury your grandmother?”
“Back in April,” Lisa said as she got situated in her seat; “We didn’t know about the baby then.”
“It was that surprise visit that Uncle Jacob made back in July after Aunt Natasha’s wedding that we had to tell him our little secret,” Matt said; “We swore him to not tell my folks.”
“He’s not telling anyone now, is he?” Lisa quipped.
“Lisa! That’s not nice!”
“Well, he’s not,” said Lisa; “Dead men tell no tales.”
“Oh, I’m sure there are secrets dear Uncle Jacob took to his grave with him,” Matt said as he finished changing the tire. His dress pants had grease stains on them.
“Oh, I don’t doubt that,” Lisa said; “We’re going to need to get you another pair of pants, Matt.”
“Considering we’re already late and not just any store carries dress slacks for guys my size, this will just have to be the way it is,” Matt said. “We can’t Walmart this, Lisa.”
Matt got back in the car and they got back on the road. He only hoped they got to the cemetery on time.
===
III
The service began, and everyone who was a member of the families of The Triad over 13 were armed. The weapons were not in plain sight, so others in the chapel were unaware of the presence of deadly force.
The different family groups sat in their own pews: Julia, JT and their families were up front; The San Marcos behind them, and the Donovans were in the last row of seats before those for the rest of the mourners. The Vincent/Dixon family were between the San Marcos and the Donovans.
Kendria sat on the end of the row so that Boat could sit in the aisle after the coffin was brought in. At the other end of the Donovan’s pew was Danica, and her sixth sense was going haywire. She’d close her eyes and kept “seeing” different men in different places. All those places were across the street from the chapel.
The preacher and the rabbi officiating droned on and on, and the longer the service went on, the more people in the four families were feeling that something wasn’t right.
Suddenly, Danica got up and ran to the back of the chapel. Bryan quickly followed her. When he caught up to her, she was standing near the door with her eyes closed.
“Danica, what do you see?” Bryan asked.
“Three men. Guns. Pointed this way. On the left as you leave the chapel, in the alley, there is a man about five-nine, dark hair, facial scarring,” Danica said as if she were in a trance; “In the center, a man about six-three, blonde, very German looking; On the right, dark haired man about six-five, in another alley. As soon as Uncle Nik, Uncle Jere and Aunt Julia walk out the door, they’re going to shoot.”
Bryan put his arms around Danica from behind. “Not if we tell them now. No will die on my watch, baby.”
Soon, Danica’s father joined them. “What’s wrong?”
“Daddy, I see men who mean our family harm,” Danica said. “Tell Uncle Jere.”
“In your head, you mean, Danica? Your sixth sense?”
“Yes, Daddy,” said Danica; “Tell Uncle Jere NOW!”
Jeremiah joined them and asked, “Tell Uncle Jere what, Danica?”
===
“Number Two,” Number One said; “There’s a mixed race woman near the door of the chapel. She’s talking to three mixed race men. Two older, one younger.”
“The two older ones are probably Jeremiah and Joseph Donovan,” Number Two said; “No clue who the younger man is, nor do I recognize the girl. She’s not Adriana Donovan, Jeremiah’s daughter. Possibly Danica Donovan, Joseph’s daughter. She lives in Washington and attends Georgetown.”
“Maybe the service for that freak was too much for her,” Number Three chimed in.
“Should we take out the Donovan brothers now, since they’re in range?” asked Number Two.
“No,” Number One said; “It’s just Jeremiah Donovan, San Marco, and Summers.”
“Check, Number One,” the other two replied.
===
“The threat’s real then,” Jeremiah said.
“Is the fucking sky blue, brother?” Joe retorted. “Danica’s never wrong with that seeing shit. How she learned to do that, I have no idea.”
“It just happened, Daddy,” Danica said.
“It’s okay, Danica,” Jeremiah said; “Joe, get Nik, Alex and Miri’s friend John. If Julia or Natasha say anything about coming out, tell them I said no and I’ll deal with them.”
Joe went and got the people his brother requested, and soon they, along with Danica, were making a plan to take the assassins out.
“Alex, you and John are going to have to learn that if you’re in this family, this is what we deal with,” Nik said; “I know Alex has already been through this once, but John, this is what it means to be with Miri, okay son?”
“Yes, sir, Major,” John said; “Miri warned me. And I’m up to the challenge.”
“Good, good,” Nik said; “but knock off the ‘Major’ stuff around family events. Right now, I’m just Nik.”
“Let’s go get some bad guys!” Bryan exclaimed. “So my baby can stop worrying.”
That made Joe smile.
===
“Shit!” said Number One.
“What?” asked Number Three.
“San Marco has two Army non-coms and a civvie with him besides the Donovans,” Number One said; “How could they have possibly found out about us?”
“Maybe they didn’t and it’s just for show,” Number Two suggested. “Just in case there were people out here waiting for them.”
That didn’t seem to make Number One feel any better.
===
John ended up behind the man known as Number Two. The assassin didn’t know the 21 year old Staff Sergeant was standing less than fifty feet behind him with a high powered rifle.
No one’s going to do any killing today but me, Crossley thought.
He aimed his rifle and fired. His target fell.
He then turned and walked away.
**
Oh this is gonna be a piece of cake, Nik thought as he stood behind Number Three. Nearly matched in height, Nik aimed for the base of the man’s skull with little trouble.
He then fired.
The man started to turn around, and the bullet caught him in the throat, tearing open the jugular vein. He collapsed against a wall, holding his throat.
The last thing Number Three saw was Nik San Marco in uniform. He sure did look like a ghost.
**
Number One tried calling his companions, but wasn’t getting either of them to answer. “Number Two, come in; Number Three, come in...dammit to hell, where are you two?” he said aloud.
It was the last thing he’d ever say before Alex Springer blew his brains out from five feet away. The wind was just right so that brain matter blew away from him. His uniform was unsullied as he did a quick about face and left the man where he lay.
===
IV
Pike sat in his dilapidated car about half a block from the chapel doors, watching for the mourners to emerge. Because when they emerged, three of them would surely die.
The casket was carried out to the hearse for the drive to Arlington National Cemetery. Behind the casket was Julia Summers and a younger man, followed by their families. They all got into the limos and followed the hearse.
Pike watched as each family got into their respective vehicles and went on their way to the cemetery. Nothing happened to Summers, San Marco or Jeremiah Donovan.
Well, he thought, someone either fucked up or they got killed. I won’t have to pay them, then. Ah, well... next time I’ll find shooters who can get the job done.
===
“Looks like we missed the service, Matt,” Lisa said as they drove up to the chapel and saw the hearse leaving.
“We’ll go on to the cemetery then,” Matt said. “It’s not far from here.”
Lisa slumped in her seat and sighed audibly. Hers and Matt’s unborn daughter decided at that time to be active.
“The baby’s moving, Matt,” Lisa said. “She’s getting squirrely in there.”
“She’s not worried about getting to a funeral on time, just on growing and getting bigger.”
“Your parents are going to flip out when they see me,” Lisa said, laughing. “Imagine, the famous Nik San Marco speechless!”
“Not much renders him speechless, Lis,” Matt said; “But his impending grandfatherhood just might do it.”
“And your mom?” asked Lisa.
“Mom, after she gets over her shock, will love the idea!” Matt said. “Though honestly, I thought Sandy and Alex would beat us to it.”
“Sandy’s too disciplined for that,” Lisa said; “Too methodical. She’ll finish college, then have a baby.”
“She’s already engaged, so they might actually get married first. Unlike us, who weren’t expecting to be parents for a long time,” Matt said.
“If we’d waited until we were ready, we might be too old,” Lisa said. “It’s not like we can change our minds now, can we?”
“I can’t wait to meet our little angel,” Matt said, gently placing his hand on Lisa’s swelling abdomen. “January couldn’t get here soon enough!”
“We haven’t discussed names, Matt,” said Lisa. “We can’t keep calling her Angel forever.”
“Why not? That’s a nice name.”
“I kind of like Karina, to be honest.”
“I hadn’t thought of that,” Matt said. “Spelled with a K and not a C. How about Karina Kiera?”
“Hmm,” Lisa said; “I think I might like that.”
They arrived at Arlington National just after the funeral procession did, and a guard asked for their names.
“Matthias San Marco and Lisabeth Cooper,” Matt said.
“Proceed, Mr. San Marco, Ms. Cooper.”
Lisa let out a sigh. “What was that for, I wonder?” she asked.
“I’d imagine that because Jacob was the ‘First Gentleman’ during his wife’s presidency, they just want to make sure that only family and invited guests were allowed in,” Matt offered.
“That makes sense, I guess.”
Another guard showed them where to park; once parked Matt got out to see where the tent for the burial was set up. Once he spotted the awning, he helped Lisa out of the car.
“It’s a bit of a hike, Lis,” Matt said; “You want to try it?”
“Do I have a choice?”
“Not unless you want grief about not coming to your Great Uncle Jacob’s funeral for the rest of your life,” Matt said.
“Um, no,” Lisa said; “My brother will never let me hear the end of it. He can’t be here, so I have to be, pregnant or not.”
“Well, then, let’s go,” Matt said, “and get this over with. I’m already prepared for questions from my family.”
===
Brittyn Parkerson was watching the funeral coverage on television. It was pretty boring as state funerals go. She didn’t see any red headed female Army sergeants in the chapel, so maybe Rafe was mistaken.
Or so Brittyn wanted to believe.
Robby had just come in from the store and saw her sitting on the couch and watching the coverage. “That’s still on, Britt?”
“Yeah,” she said; “It’s kinda boring. But Jacob Ross was an important person in our new history.”
“I’d watch just to see if there was anyone I know in the crowd,” Robby said; God knows I met enough important government people growing up. Including Jacob Ross. His son, JT and I went to school together briefly. Then football took over my life.”
“Well, they’ve shown Ross’ children and grandchildren,” Britt said; “I didn’t know that Julia Summers was his daughter.”
“Yeah, she’s his daughter with Jordan Terranova,” Robby said; “I mean Jordan Draiman. I don’t think they ever married though.”
Brittyn looked at the television to see that the service was ending and people were filing out of the chapel. The announcer was saying now, “The service is now over and the families will go on to Arlington National for the private burial. Jacob Ross will be buried next to his wife, Christine, the former Interim President...”
Just as Brittyn was reaching for the remote to turn off the television, the camera caught a very familiar face in the crowd outside the chapel. As familiar as the one Brittyn saw in the mirror every day.
Wearing an Army uniform, red hair pinned up. The camera captured her full in the face. Brittyn gasped.
“Bethie! That’s Bethanie! Oh, my God!”
===
No comments:
Post a Comment