08 August, 2011

Chapter 66


I

Julia hadn’t seen her house in the six weeks since Jack died. She wondered what he would have thought about her going after the man she suspected of killing him. He’d probably think I was insane or something, she thought. Then she had to consider that, albeit temporarily, she had been.

She couldn’t wait to get home and sleep in her own bed. Live her own life. Try to cope with Jack’s death as best she could. Then there was Miri’s trip up to Northwestern the following week for Freshman Orientation. Julia was, in a way, looking forward to that. When she went there, she had been married and had two children. Zach was born after she transferred to Loyola. She didn’t get the typical college experience; then again, she wasn’t a typical college student. She wasn’t a typical anything. Julia wanted to make sure that Miri’s experiences were more in line with what others her age and educational level were getting.

At least she’s not going far away to school, Julia thought as she prepared to join her children, her two brothers who lived in Chicago and their families on the flight back to O’Hare. She’ll still be close, but far enough away to be independent.

And that’s what Julia wanted for her daughter; to be independent. Julia hoped that the lessons that she and Ryan had taught her would serve her well. That girl, Julia thought, will be okay. My job is done. I hope that Miri has a wonderful life.

“I’m going to miss her,” Julia said aloud, trying not to let her emotions get the best of her.

Because even tough little dynamos have to let their children grow up.
===

There was a knock on the door of Kelly Hope’s dorm room. She went to answer and on the other side was the Dorm Manager.

“Hi, Kelly,” she said; “Here’s your roommate assignment for this term.” The girl handed Kelly an envelope. “I know you liked living here alone after your other roommate left, so I was surprised that you wanted to be in on the roommate lottery.”

“I just want to help another girl get used to college life,” Kelly said, taking the envelope; “I know not everyone who wanted to participate was able to.”

“Especially with the rumor that the daughter of a hero of the Resistance was coming here,” the Dorm Manager said; “I almost envy the girl who gets her as a roommate, if indeed she’s coming here.”

“She’s just going to be another scared, nervous freshman, just like we all were,” Kelly said. “It’s our job to make the transition from high school to college a bit smoother.”

“And she probably doesn’t want special treatment,” the other girl said. “I’d hate that. To be treated like a celebrity because of something my parents did before I was born.”

“Me, too,” said Kelly.

The other girl left to deliver the rest of the roommate assignments. Kelly went to sit on her bed to open the envelope to see who her new roommate would be.

Hi, Kelly! Thanks so much for being a part of the Roommate Lottery for the 2035-36 term. You’ve been chosen to be the “big sister” to an incoming freshman girl. We all hope that this experience will be beneficial for both of you! Your new roommate’s name, major, and arrival date are posted below.

Thanks again for being a Cleary Hall leader.

--Dana Yearling, Student Dorm Manager, Class of 2037


Here’s the stats on your new roommate:

Name: Summers, Mirielle Grace

Major: Graphic Design

Class: 2039

Hometown: Chicagoland Compound, Chicago, IL

Arrival date: July 13, 2035


Kelly stared at the letter in disbelief. It’s me, she thought; This girl’s mother was supposedly the “SpineSplitter” during the Occupation! I’m her roommate!

Kelly put the letter back in the envelope and placed it in the drawer in her desk. She wasn’t going to tell anyone who her roommate was until the girl actually arrived. She’s just another girl starting college, just like I was last year, Kelly thought.

She only hoped that Mirielle Summers wasn’t stuck on herself. Kelly would find out that Mirielle was a shy, down to earth girl who didn’t take any flak from anyone.

And the girl’s knowledge about weapons would help Kelly in a critical time in her life.
===

“Natasha, you’re gonna fuckin’ kill me, you know that?” asked Darren as his wife of three days rode him for the sixth time that morning.

“You love it, baby,” Natasha purred as she got him off. She heard his grunting and knew he was close. “Don’t deny it, Mister.”

“It’d be a lovely way to meet my end, my Queen,” Darren said haltingly as he let go. “But there are so many other reasons I love you that don’t have anything to do with your skills.”

She climbed off him and lay down next to him, cuddled against him. He was always intrigued by how her body fit perfectly with his, her pale skin contrasting with his olive complexion.

“Name one,” Natasha said softly.

“You tamed my heart, my Queen,” he said. “Once I saw you, I knew that somehow, we’d be together.”

“You waited until I was ready to give you my heart, my King,” Natasha said; “Other men would have run, but not you.”

“The best things are always worth waiting for, Tash.”

Natasha said nothing more. She lay there with him and inhaled his scent, felt his skin under her fingers, his lips on hers.

“It’s going to be so hard to go back to work when this is over, Tash,” Darren said; “but knowing I’m coming home to you every night will make it easier for me.”

“You ready to be a full time dad? Those kids are a handful, you know.”

“You’ve done such a great job with them on your own,” Darren said; “I only hope that they cut me a little slack at first. I’m new to this parenting stuff.”

“You’ll get it down in no time, darling,” Natasha said; “I have every confidence in you.”

“Maybe we can have a little one of our own, Tash.”

“Maybe we should see if I could carry one at my advanced maternal age,” Natasha said. “If not, there are options.”

“You’re considering it, then?”

“Darren, I would love nothing more than to have a baby with you,” Natasha said; “but I am 45 years old and still fertile. Women older than me have babies all the time now. Still, there are risks.”

“We can go see someone when we get back,” Darren said.

“You want to do this right away, don’t you?”

Darren kissed her deeply. “What man wouldn’t want to have a child with the woman he loves?”

===
II


Danica went into town to run some errands before classes at Georgetown began the following month. She had a feeling now that Alex would be returning to the area to go to school himself, that Sandrina would probably move in with him. I’d do that if it were me, thought Danica as she got out of the car, locked the doors, and headed to the small stationery store to pick up some supplies for her desk at the house.

She got the feeling she was being watched, however.

Danica closed her eyes, and saw the same man she’d seen a couple of days before: tall, dark hair and eyes, mixed race, nice smile. Opening her eyes, she wondered why someone was following her. I know he’s a friendly, she thought, but the idea of being followed everywhere kinda creeps me out.

“Maybe CIA has something to do with this,” she said under her breath as she approached the store.

Once inside, she picked up all the things she had come there to get, paid for them, and left. She walked two doors down to a sandwich shop/ bakery to grab lunch before heading off to the bank to speak with someone about a small business loan. Danica and Sandrina had a long talk the night before about starting the bridal consulting business they discussed after Aunt Natasha’s wedding.

She sat down with her sandwich, a brownie, and a drink when the man she saw in her visions walked into the shop. She almost gasped out loud.

The man was indeed as she saw him in her mind. He was tall, maybe about her father’s height of six-three; muscled, but not overly so. He worked out. His hair was a cross between the tight curls of his African American parentage and the straight hair of his caucasian ancestors. And, he was good looking on top of all that. After placing his order and getting his food, he walked over toward where she sat.

“Excuse me, miss,” he said in a slight southern accent, “Is this seat taken by chance?”

“No,” Danica said; “I’m dining alone today.”

“May I join you?” he asked.

Danica hesitated for just a millisecond before saying, “Sure. I could use the company. I’m Danica, by the way.” She extended her hand for him to shake. Taking her hand, he said, “I’m Bryan.”

“Pleasure to meet you, Bryan,” she said; she thought, okay, mister why the hell are you following me?

“Pleasures all mine, Danica,” said Bryan. “Is that a New England accent I detect?”

Wow, this guy’s good, Danica thought; She said, “Yes, it is. I’m from Maine. I thought I’d hidden it well, too.”

“It’s very slight, but it’s there,” Bryan said; “Don’t know many mixed race girls from there.”

“There aren’t a lot of us,” Danica said, laughing. “My sister and I are probably the only ones our age.”

“No brothers?”

“Nope, though I’m sure my father wanted one,” Danica said; “I have one male cousin who is actually related by blood. The rest of my cousins are related by chance.”

“Related by chance?” asked Bryan.

“My dad and his older brother were orphaned when they were very young,” Danica said, relating the sanitized version of the family history; “They were taken in by a couple during the Occupation who had taken in two other kids. The four of them considered themselves siblings, so their kids are my cousins-by-chance.”

“Ahh, I see,” Bryan said. “A lot of that went on during the Occupation. My family took in kids, too, during that time. Usually they were reunited with their parents at some point. I only have one actual sibling. My sister lives in Canada with her husband and kids.”

“A lot of mixed families went to Canada during the Occupation,” Danica said, “to escape the Occupational government. My parents thought of doing that, too, but decided that if they ran from trouble, that would be teaching me and my sister to run from trouble instead of facing it head on.”

“Your parents seem like they’re pretty level headed,” Bryan said. “How did you end up in DC?”

“I’m a sophomore at Georgetown majoring in finance with a concentration in small business development.”

“What sparked your interest in that?” asked Bryan.

“My father runs my grandfather’s lobster fishing cooperative, and I did a lot of bookkeeping for him,” Danica said; “I eventually did payroll and billing, too. My mother and aunts do most of that now that I’m in school.”

Bryan thought for a moment, then said, “I’m going to assume that your grandfather is your mother’s father. Right?”

“Yes,” Danica said, chuckling. “My dad’s worked for his father in law since before he and my mother were married.”

“I see,” Bryan said.

Danica started to gather her things, which prompted Bryan to ask, “You’re leaving?”

“I have an appointment at 12:30 that I need to keep,” said Danica.

Bryan looked at his watch. It was 11:55. He then said, “Can I see you again when you’re not pressed for time?”

“Are you asking me out?”

“Yeah, I guess I am,” Bryan said. “May I at least get your phone number?”

“Sure,” Danica said, and gave Bryan her secure phone number. He asked, “Where is that area code located?
“In Maine,” Danica said; “Is that going to be a problem?”

“No, I was just curious.”

Danica nodded wordlessly, then asked, “Do you have a last name, Bryan?”

“I didn’t tell you before?”

“No.”

Bryan laughed. “Okay, you win, Danica. Bryan Kevin Costner is my full name.”

“Wasn’t Kevin Costner an actor from about fifty years ago?”

“He was, but no relation. My parents thought it would be amusing to give me Kevin as a middle name,” Bryan said.

“And you’re not amused, I take it?”

“No, not really,” Bryan said.

“My full name is Danica Antonia Donovan,” she said; “And yes, it’s Irish. People ask me that all the time.”

“Antonia is a pretty name,” Bryan said.

“Me, my sister Kendria, and three of our Donovan cousins have Antonia as our middle name,” Danica said; “Antonia was my father and uncle’s mother’s name. They thought they were starting a tradition. I intend to break that tradition if and when I have children.”

“If and when?”

“I’m 18 years old,” Danica said; “I’m too young to think about having kids right now.”

“You seem more poised than most 18 year olds I’ve known,” Bryan said.

Danica winked, saying, “I’m not like most 18 year olds you’ve known.”

“Oh I’m sure you’re not!”

“I’ve really got to get going, Bryan,” Danica said; “When you call me, we can talk more.”

“I look forward to it,” Bryan said, thinking, Cobain is going to kill me, but I don’t care. I can’t let this girl get away! “I’ll definitely be calling.”

Danica smiled and walked out of the sandwich shop. As she got to her car, she said aloud, “Did I really just give my phone number and full name to the man who is following me? God, I hope this doesn’t come back to bite me in the ass.”

She then drove off to keep her appointment at the bank.

Bryan watched as she drove away, deciding not to follow her. Good Lord, he thought; she’s 18 years old! If I didn’t have info on her, I’d swear she was a lot older.

===
III


“Yes, Mom, it’s still the same house,” Miri said as Julia walked into the house after six weeks away; “We’ve started packing our things for the move to Belvidere about a month ago. Jaime’s been up there three times a week since you left to take care of the horses.”

“Who takes her up there?” asked Julia; “You?”

“I’m trying to get my stuff together to move into a dorm room next week,” Miri said; “Usually Uncle Nik will take her because he has been keeping an eye on Dad’s business.”

“You’ll never believe how big Coltrane is, Mom,” Jaime interrupted; “He’s almost as big as Rosie!”

“Rosie’s going to have another foal here soon,” Nik said as he brought Julia’s things in from the car; “One of the neighbors thought that she’d be perfect to mate with his stallion, and the little whippersnapper is due to arrive in February.”

“Not til then?” asked Julia. “I know the neighbor asked me about it. I guess I said yes. I was too worried about Jack to pay that much mind.”

“That’s what the foreman at the farm told Jaime when she was there a few weeks ago,” Nik said. “We had no idea that Rosie was pregnant. I mean, you can’t really tell by looking.”

“So we’re getting a new foal in February, and Kimber is due to have Drew in October,” Julia said.

“Yeah,” Rachel said; “Aunt Kimber said I can help with him and everything!”

Oh, Lord, thought Julia, this I’ve got to see!

“How are you going to do that when we move to Belvidere, Rach?” asked Zach; “You don’t think that Mom’s going to drive you down here a lot, do you?”

“We’ll see, Zachary,” Julia said. “That’s still a couple months away. Now go get your things unpacked from your trip and let me talk to Uncle Nik, okay?”

After the kids had gone upstairs, Julia sat on one of the barstools and sighed. “Nik,” she said; “do you think I’m a horrible mother for running off like I did?”

The question took Nik by surprise; “No, Julia, I don’t,” he said; “You weren’t in your usual frame of mind. I explained that to the kids while you were gone. That you hadn’t grieved enough for Jack and it made you do something that you normally wouldn’t have done.”

“When did Mom and David come up here?”

“We called them the morning you left, and they were here that evening,” Nik said. “We were all concerned for you, Jules. Jordan was the strong one. She jumped in there and took over. I think she may have shocked David.”

“Shocking David is hard to do,” Julia said, laughing; “I’m sorry I put you all through that. I wish I could remember why I thought it was a good idea.”

“Don’t worry about it, Jules,” Nik said; “We all had your back.”

“Who was it that tracked me down? Please tell me it wasn’t Jacob,” Julia said.

“It wasn’t, though he wanted to very badly,” Nik said; “Darren sent JT after you.”

“Morbus 2-point-oh,” Julia said wryly. “Why doesn’t that surprise me?”

“Because the alternative was to send someone out who would have killed you, not knowing you weren’t in your own mind,” Nik said; “Sending JT was safer for everyone. Especially you. We all figured you had a break with reality.”

“One I’ll never remember,” Julia said. “That pisses me off. If I’m going to do something that ill-planned, that... stupid, I at least want to have the ability to remember it.”

“Maybe it’s better you don’t remember it, Jules. I mean, do you really want to know?”

Julia had to concede that Nik had a point.

“By the way,” Nik said; “We’ve pushed back your move to Belvidere a month, so instead of moving in September like you planned, the move is scheduled for after Kimber has her baby in October.”

“That’s good, I guess,” said Julia. “At least I get to meet my new nephew.”

I should go see Kimber, Julia thought. I hope she isn’t worrying too much.

===

After dinner that evening, Jacob and Christine were sitting outside with iced tea and cookies that Christine had baked earlier in the afternoon. The rain had long since stopped and it was a bit humid, even right by the ocean.

Rainy days always reminded Christine of Todd. He liked rainy days for some strange reason. She said her last goodbyes to him on a rainy day. Rainy days made her feel guilty.

There was something that Jacob wanted to talk to Christine about and he wasn’t sure how to approach the subject with her. He wanted to ask about her husband.

Jacob knew from talking to Todd that he didn’t have the marriage between he and Christine annulled as they agreed. Christine didn’t know that. She suspected he didn’t, but was too afraid to look up the information to see if it were true.

Todd told Jacob that he still loved Bethanie/Christine, and wanted another chance to win her. Todd didn’t know that Jacob had also developed feelings for Christine as well, putting Christine unknowingly in a situation where she would be made to choose between the man she married and the man she, Jacob suspected, was falling in love with.

God, why do You put such obstacles in my path? Jacob asked silently. I can deal with a lot of things- being disfigured, losing Jordan, not being able to tell my daughter I was her father as she was growing up... but please, don’t make me beg Christine to choose me over the man she’s still married to!

He looked over at Christine, her legs drawn up under her on the chair, her long copper colored hair blowing in the breeze, laughing at some silly seagulls she had thrown cookie crumbs to. I can’t make her choose, Jacob thought. I will let her make that decision for herself. But I have to know how she feels about Todd, and if she still loved him.

“Christine?” he said aloud, almost wishing he hadn’t. It meant she turned her attention away from the seagulls and the beach over to him.

“Yes, Jacob?”

“There’s something that I have to know,” said Jacob.

“What is it?” she asked.

He felt nervous, almost like he did the day he married his Christine. Christine Travis wasn’t his to have. He had to know what her feelings for her husband were. At that moment, that bit of knowledge was important to him.

“Tell me about Todd and your feelings for him,” Jacob said; “If he asked you tomorrow to resume life with him, would you do it?”

Christine was so shocked by the question, she was speechless. She was certain he’d read her mind.

===

No comments:

Post a Comment