14 July, 2011

Chapter 60

I

Once in the limo, Natasha and Darren looked at each other as if to say, we really did it! We really got married!  

Natasha laid her head on her new husband’s shoulder and sighed. She had never felt so content, so complete. She had thought that having her twins would do that for her, and at the time, it did. But to have Darren, too? It was a lot to take in.

And she finally felt free of her past. Her family was together, she had the man who loved her completely, unalterably, totally. The man who waited until Natasha to be ready for him. And she had her precious children, who were her world, her strength, her reason for living after the Occupation ended. And every so often, she thanked the man who gave of himself selfishlessly to make her family a reality.

“What are you thinking about, my Queen?” asked Darren, interrupting her thoughts.

Natasha looked at him and smiled. “How indescribably happy I am at this very moment. Why did I wait so long for you to make me believe in your love?”

“You wanted to be sure, Natasha,” Darren said. “And I was willing to wait for you to be sure, as long as that took. Even if that was forever.”

“You would have waited forever for me to not be so damn stubborn and just give you my heart?” asked Natasha.

Darren took her hand, her left hand that now wore the wedding band he purchased for her a decade earlier, knowing one day, she would be ready, and kissed her palm. “Oh, Natasha...” he sighed; “From the moment I first laid eyes on you, I knew. Something spoke to my heart, saying that you were the one. Never mind I only knew you by reputation, something told me that you would be my wife. I wanted to be the one to father your children, but we hadn’t known each other that long, and you were right to say so. I took a huge leap of faith, and ten years ago, I bought that ring you now wear. I waited for you to be ready, I...”

Natasha put a finger to his lips. “Shh, Darren,” she said softly; “We have the rest of our lives together. We have to get through the reception that Sandy and Danica worked so hard on putting together for us. I can’t believe how many people showed up to watch all this happen.”

“It says a lot when the President himself shows up at your wedding,” Darren said; “People I haven’t seen in years are here, and I know that’s true for you as well.”

“I have no idea where Danica and Sandy got all those names and addresses,” Natasha said. “It blows my mind that not only did all those people get invitations, but that they all showed up! Except for Kylee, dear girl. I was saddened and shocked to hear of her passing. And Julia of course.”

“Speaking of Julia,” said Darren; “Word has it that she’ll be released tomorrow. I tried to get it done today, but the damn doctor in charge of her case was on vacation until tomorrow. I had to interrupt his time with his grandkids to ask him to at least let her go home tomorrow.”

“She’ll be happy to hear that,” said Natasha; “She’ll get to go home with her kids.”

“I’m sure her oldest daughter will be happy to hear that,” Darren said; “I hear she has quite the temper.”

“Just like her mother, only younger and taller,” Natasha said; “And I’m sure her father as well.”

Darren said nothing. He knew which father of Mirielle Summers Natasha meant.

They soon arrived at the restaurant, which was closed to the public, but open for their reception. Darren was impressed. Booking this particular restaurant on any other day for a private party was damn near impossible, but for the Fourth of July? He wondered which of Natasha’s nieces managed to pull that off.

They got out and headed inside. They were greeted by the majority of the people who had been in the cathedral just 30 minutes prior.

“Ladies and Gentlemen,” Nik announced as they walked into the restaurant, “Mr. and Mrs. Darren Dixon are in the house!”

Natasha blushed and giggled, and Darren sported a cheshire cat grin. Let the party begin.

===
II

She tried to ignore the internal rumblings she felt and sometimes, heard. Most of the time, she was successful and the presence would quiet until another time.


In the background, Kathryn knew that presence was scheming, plotting, and planning revenge.

But, this was her life, and she would be damned if she let Chastity ever get a foothold into her life again.

She, Christian, and Lili sat on the blanket, like so many others who came to Central Park to watch the fireworks. They indeed had brought snacks from home, and were waiting for dark to arrive, and along with it, fireworks.

Lili popped a tortilla chip in her mouth and asked, “When’s it going to start, Daddy?”

“When it gets dark, Lilibet,” Christian said.

Kathryn looked at Christian and their youngest daughter. She was so glad to be here with them this year. Last July 4th, she was Chastity, and didn’t remember if she saw fireworks or not. She was probably fucking someone, Kathryn thought disgustedly.

She wondered what her father, Krysta and Kelly were doing.

She hoped that Helene and Erin were having a good time at the camps they were each in.

She had thoughts like any mother did. But not any mother had to worry about an evil persona trying to make itself known. She’d have to talk to Cameron about that at her next appointment the following Monday.

For now, she was with the man who loved her, and their youngest child. Life was good for Kathryn Hope. She prayed that it would continue, and that Chastity was gone forever.

Wanna bet, sister?

===

The usual things happened at Natasha and Darren’s reception that happened at wedding receptions for everyone else. Natasha tossed the bouquet of calla lillies over her shoulder. When she turned around, she found that Niki Draiman had caught it.

Upon seeing this, Jordan leaned over to David, saying, “I think you better start thinking about giving your litttle girl away.”

They still didn’t know that Niki and Drake had gotten married nearly five months before, and to keep up the charade, Niki put herself into the group of single ladies vying for the bouquet. She then gave the bouquet to Sandrina, saying, “I think you’ll probably get married before I will, Sandy.”

“Oh, you think so, huh?” Sandrina said.

“If that guy you’ve been with all night is any indication,” Niki said, “I’d say yes.”

“You know something I don’t, Niki?”

“It’s not that,” Niki said; “But I saw him chatting up your father earlier.”

“Really, Niki...” Sandrina said, laughing. “I’m surrounded by hopeless romantics, from the bride on down!”

When Darren removed the garter from Natasha’s leg and flung it into the crowd, Alex Springer was the lucky man who caught it. He took this as a sign.

Nik had given his blessing for the young Army sergeant to ask for Sandrina’s hand. “You’re a nice guy, Alex,” Nik had said; “I think you’ll make Sandrina very happy. I’d like to see her finish her education first before you plan any babies though.”

“I’m actually thinking of completing my education as well,” Alex said; “The Army will allow me to transfer into the Reserves while I’m in school, so I could come back up here and take classes at Georgetown. I’ve already been accepted for admission.”

“You’ve really thought this through, haven’t you?” asked Nik.

“I have,” Alex replied; “I can’t imagine a future without Sandy in it.”

“You realize she’s only 18, so if you’re planning to ask her to marry you, I’d like to see you wait.”

“She is of age, Nik, so we could get married now,” Alex said; “but I’ll leave that up to Sandy. Only she will know if she’s ready.”


“True, true,” Nik said.

But now, he found himself in a corner of the balcony with Sandrina. He leaned against the railing, musing about when the fireworks would begin.

“When it’s dark, silly,” Sandrina teased. “It’s not quite dark enough, I guess.”

“You and Danica did a great job with all of this,” Alex said; “You two should go into business doing this.”

“Yeah, right,” Sandrina said; “I’d never get done with school if we did that. Danica has the head for business. I’m just an artist with impeccable weapons skills.”

“You designed the cake, did you not?” asked Alex.

“I drew the concept, yes. But the real stars are the ladies who brought my sketches to life,” Sandrina said.

“They did a great job, too,” Alex said. “Maybe they’ll do another wedding in a year or two with one of your designs.”

Sandrina looked at Alex curiously, then asked, “Whose?”

Alex then got down on one knee, brought out a small box and said, “Ours.”

“What?!”

“Sandrina Kiera, will you marry me?”

“Alex!”

“Sandy, please...” Alex said, praying she didn’t say no. “I’d be honored if you’d be my wife.”

It was like time had stood still, and unbeknownst to Alex and Sandrina, it had. Everyone looked in their direction, waiting for Sandrina’s answer.


“I...I don’t know what to say, Alex,” she stammered. “I wasn’t expecting this.”

“Sandy...” Alex said; “I can’t imagine my life from this point on without you in it. I know you want to finish school and do what you are meant to do. If I told you that I’m transferring to the Reserves to finish my education, and that I’d be here for you when you need me, would that make a difference?”

Looking on, KateLynn said to Nik, “I’ve never seen her at such a loss for words. She clearly didn’t see this coming.”

“Maybe it’s best that she didn’t, Katie,” Nik replied; “I hope she doesn’t disappoint the boy.”

“Alex,” Sandrina said now, “You know I love you, that I can’t imagine you not being in my life either. I’ve had so many other things going on that this kinda took me by surprise. I should have seen it coming, given how close we’ve become. So, to answer your question, Alexander James, I’d have to say yes.”

Alex looked as if he were ready to pass out. His hands shook as he removed the ring from the box and placed it on Sandrina’s finger. He then stood up and took her into his arms. “Sandy...” he sighed.

Sandrina’s response was to sob. Alex then kissed her tears away, then leaned in to kiss her. She met him the rest of the way. They didn’t even hear the entire party applauding for them. They were in their own world.

“Well, hey,” Darren said to Natasha, “I think we got upstaged, Tash.”

Natasha smiled. “If we were going to be upstaged, as you put it, I couldn’t think of a better way to have that happen than a wedding proposal. They don’t even realize that everyone was hanging on their every word.”

Darren looked at her; Ah Natasha, always thinking of others before yourself. I can’t wait to get you out of here and be in our own world for the next three weeks.

===

“What just happened here?” Nikolai wanted to know.

“What are you, Nikky, dense?” Vixen said to her twin; “Alex just asked Sandy to marry him. She said

yes.”

“Oh,” the boy said. “Why?”

“Because they love each other wand want a life together, Nikolai. Duh?” Vixen then walked away, muttering something about how boys were clueless.

===
III

Soon, it was time for the bride and groom to get started on their lives together. That meant leaving the incredible party that Danica and Sandrina had put together in just a few short weeks.

They had changed out of their wedding clothes and into the “travelling ensemble” that each of them brought with them. Sandrina would make sure that her aunt’s dress would be cleaned and stored properly. Danica would make sure that Darren’s tuxedo was returned to his townhouse near Langley.

Natasha walked up to the younger women with Darren in tow, and thanked them for everything they did to make their wedding day one to remember.

“You really should start a business,” she said, “I think you could be able to pay your way through the rest of college. People get married every day around here!”

“Alex said the same thing, Aunt Tash!” Sandrina said; “What do you think, cousin?” she asked Danica; “Think we could pull it off and concentrate on school?”

“I’ll draw up a business plan, Sandy,” Danica said; “Then we’ll talk to our families and see what they think.”

“Congratulations on your engagement, Sandy,” Darren said; “No one saw that coming!”

“Including me!” Sandrina said. “But I can’t think of anyone better to spend the rest of my life with.”

“You are going to wait, right?” asked Natasha.

Sandrina looked at the ring Alex had given her, saying, “I want to finish school first, and Alex is making plans to come back up here and go to school as well. We’ll have to wait and see what develops.”

“That’s probably a good idea,” said Natasha. “But now, Darren and I have to make a stop before flying down to Norfolk to hop on a big boat to the Bahamas.”

“Have fun, Aunt Tash and Uncle Darren..” Sandrina said as they walked away to say their goodbyes to the rest of those assembled. When they were out of earshot, she said to Danica, “That sounds so odd: ‘Uncle Darren’. Doesn’t it to you, Danica?”

Danica looked at her cousin and said, “We’ll be so used to it in time that it won’t sound weird anymore. I just don’t want to be ‘Auntie Danica’ anytime soon.”

“I don’t think Kendria has plans like that for right now,” Sandrina said. “So don’t worry. If anyone should worry, it should be me. Is it me, or does Lisa have a bump?”

“Sandy!” Danica said, laughing. “Don’t even go there!”



It took about half an hour for the newlyweds to say goodbye to everyone, then they headed out to their limo.

“Airport?” asked the driver.

“Not quite yet, young man,” Darren said; “I know you were hired by Miss San Marco, but this trip’s on me. Please take us to Walter Reed Army Hospital and wait. Then the airport.”

“Yes, sir!” the boy said.

“We’re going to see Julia, Darren?” asked the newly minted Mrs. Dixon.

“Yes, we are. We can’t leave town without telling her goodbye,” Darren said; “She’ll be back in Chicago by the time we get back from the cruise.”

“When is she being discharged?”

“In the morning.”


“Thank you, Darren,” Natasha said, kissing him on the cheek.

“I think I may have mentioned it before, but I honestly don’t remember,” Darren said. “So much went on today.”

They soon arrived at Walter Reed and asked the driver to wait 30 minutes. Darren gave the young driver a one-hundred dollar bill to hold the car, and a fifty as a tip. They soon headed inside and went to the floor government employees were hospitalized.

“Good evening,” Sgt. Travis said; “And congratulations on your marriage, Director Dixon. I’ve been asked to take you to Mrs. Summers’ room, but she is sleeping. Shall I wake her?”

“No, no, Sergeant, no need to wake her,” Darren said. “Just let her know that my wife and I stopped by. It is my understanding that she is to be discharged tomorrow morning?”

“Yes, sir,” Sgt. Travis said; “I believe that the doctor in charge has contacted Maj. San Marco regarding Mrs. Summers’ release. It will be handled according to your directives, Director.”

“Very good,” Darren said; “We’re a little disappointed that we won’t be able to see her, but please let her know we stopped by.”

“I shall, Director,” said Sgt. Travis. Darren and Natasha then took their leave and went back out to the limo to head to the airport.

Christine Travis sighed. Only six more hours until I have two weeks of leave, she thought.

She would learn much in those two weeks, though she didn’t realize it yet. She’d have a choice to make.

An impossible choice.

===

No comments:

Post a Comment